Need replacement speaker for v.2-400 sub

risottto

I have been blasting my v.2-400's for a good 7 years now, I have loved every minute of sound that has come out of them. The best money I ever spend on a set of speakers. Just recently, one of the speakers in the sub lost a bit of it's diaphragm (probably due to age and continuous bumping). I opened up the sub and disconnected that sub. I noticed that after I did this it still seemed to be working, while it was unplugged! Apparently the other speaker was throwing so much air that it made the unplugged speaker seem like it was throwing (damn!). So now I took out both the speakers out of the sub, and am using a JBL sub with a line splitter for bass. I would still like to get a new speaker to get my sub back into action. Anyone know where I can find just a single sub speaker. Is it the same woofer that is in the 2.1 system?

Thanks

Stan

DSC00078.jpg">

I have had my v2.400 for quite a while as well. I should probably give the subs an inspection.

From your pic it looks like it became brittle...

Is there some sort of "conditioning substance" that can be used to prevent that from happening?

Incidentally, one time a piece of cardboard fell behind my sub and was rattling and I thought my speakers were blown!

• 1 month later...

I've recently learned that in the speaker repair biz, the deteriorated diaphram is one of the most common problems needing repair. No need to throw the speaker away. It seems that the foam poly matierial used is best for sound quality, but unfortunately will need replacement after some years. The repair is called "re-edging" or re-foaming. You can send your speakers in to be repaired, or you can do it yourself with a re-edging kit. For about $30 bucks, a DIY re-edging kit will do two speakers, enough for both 4.1 subs. http://www.speakerrepair.com/instructions.html It looks fairly easy to do...