Klipsch RF-52 HT System--Bunch of Newbie Questions!

GTXElecTriC

Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of running speakers at a loud volume especially for movies (for the theatrical effect) and for music (for parties and the like). My RF-52 HT speakers should be coming soon, so I am asking for some advice on safe-use practices. I unfortunately blew my Promedia 2.1 setup by operating the speakers at too high a volume for too long. Since these new HT speakers are made to operate at these high volume levels (?) , would I safely be able to turn these speakers up for movies and music for long durations of time? Also, is it safe for the cones to move in and out quickly and have a fairly extensive movement range? I love seeing speaker cones moving, but I'm not sure if it is a safe thing for the speaker, especially in bass heavy music. Also, how large is the soundstage for these speakers? I just need a basic idea because my basement was not planned to be a home theater, so I do have some obstacles that I have to deal with. I know I'm full of questions, but I appreciate all of you taking your time to answer them! Thanks alot guys, and I look forward to joining the Klipsch Home Audio family :D!!!

Jay

PS: I will be running these speakers with a Yamaha RX-V661BL receiver.

PPS or PSS?!?!: I will post some pictures as soon as I get everything set up!

• Moderators

My suggestion is to let your ears decide. If you turn it up and you hear the slightest bit of distortion, you are pushing your amp further than you need to. Distortion will ruin a speaker. Your Yamaha receiver is pushing 90 watts per channel. The RF-52's are rated at 100 watts RMS so your receiver should be fine pushing the speakers but again, if you hear distortion or a loud popping sound from the speakers when playing loud, back it down. Best wishes to your new system.

Power doesn't necessarily kill speakers, but bad power does kill speakers. While they may tolerate 100 watts continuous, if the amp is clipping (being asked to drive more than it has power for), it will fry speakers at well below 100 watts. I'd rather see amps with 400 watts of output connected to these speakers than a 90 watt amp with the volume maxed out.

• Moderators

I totally agree with you there. A higher amp at lower volume would be much better than a lower amp at higher volume. I do not turn my Onkyo above 1/2 way. That is a safe volume for my receiver. When an amp begins to clip, can't you hear it due to distortion or other sounds coming through the speakers?

Hey guys,

Looks like underpowering and clipping are the biggest threats to these speakers. I will keep that in mind and remember to keep volume levels reasonable (so I can retain my hearing!). My main concern was some time of physical damage to the speaker, given that it was provided enough power at high volumes. I have blown smaller, computer speakers, not because of clipping, but due to issues with the cones and voice coil, but I have no real experience with home theater speakers. I just want to operate these under the safest conditions, as to prolong their lifespan and sound quality. Thanks guys for all your responses!