Matching Center Channels

IDOXLR8

Well, I've been threw 3 center channels wile looking for a KLF-C7. The RC-35 was not right, the KV-3 was closer and now have a nice KG-2.2V and seems to be the closest yet. Would the KLF-C7 be closer or is it over kill for my KG-5.5 and KG-1.5 in a 5.1 set up? I'm also using a subwoofer KW-10 for the center channel and a Velodyne F1800R subwoofer for the complete suround, thoughts? AL..

The KLF-C7 will not match either it was designed to complement the KLF-10, 20, and 30. You need a KG 2.5 or 2.5V to get the proper matching center timbre' to the KG 5.5 and KG 1.5. The KG 2.2 as you know will be close but Klipsch changed the drivers and network in the KG 2.5 so it should be the correct timbre matched speaker for you.

They come up regularly on eBay.

I take the only differance in a KG-2.5 book shelf and center channel usage would be the grills, having the Klipsch name plate in a diferent place. All the KG-2.5 are placed up right like a book shelf speaker and the KG-2.2V I bought is set long ways with the name plate in the correct place for a center channel. Did Klipsch make a KG-2.5V or a KG2.5 made to sit long ways for center channel use? AL.

This is my first post here, and I am glad I found this thread!

I also have a pair of KG 5.5s in my living room. I've been searching for the perfect center speaker (and also some surrounds). I have a JVC DTS 5.1 receiver, but I never quite got a satisfactory setup, see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=875468. I just ended up going with 2 "stereo" mains, and disconnected all the other speakers!

Old setup: JVC RX-8000V 5.1 DTS rcvr, 2x KG 5.5 speakers, Pinnacle "Widescreen" center, and 2 Klipsch Quintet surrounds

New proposed setup: JVC RX-8000V 5.1 DTS rcvr, 2x KG 5.5 speakers, need 1 center, and need 2 surround speakers (no need for subwoofer right now, the 5.5s are enough for my 1-bedroom apartment!)

When I looked up the 'classic' products, I found that the KG 2.5V was in the 'related' category to the KG 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 series: http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-2-5v.aspx. What are the differences in the 2.5 and 2.5V? Is the V better for a center speaker? Would I be able to find a 2.5V and then get 2 more 2.5s or 1.5s for the surrounds? I found that when I had the 2 quintet surrounds, they were too small to match the KG 5.5 mains, they would barely be driven by the receiver at all!

Thanks for starting this thread, I really want to find a decent center speaker and surrounds to match my setup, and it sounds like you're in a similar situation.

This is my first post here, and I am glad I found this thread!

I also have a pair of KG 5.5s in my living room. I've been searching for the perfect center speaker (and also some surrounds). I have a JVC DTS 5.1 receiver, but I never quite got a satisfactory setup, see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=875468. I just ended up going with 2 "stereo" mains, and disconnected all the other speakers!

Old setup: JVC RX-8000V 5.1 DTS rcvr, 2x KG 5.5 speakers, Pinnacle "Widescreen" center, and 2 Klipsch surrounds (looked like ProMedia satellites, model?)

New proposed setup: JVC RX-8000V 5.1 DTS rcvr, 2x KG 5.5 speakers, need 1 center, and need 2 surround speakers (no need for subwoofer right now, the 5.5s are enough for my 1-bedroom apartment!)

When I looked up the 'classic' products, I found that the KG 2.5V was in the 'related' category to the KG 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 series: http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-2-5v.aspx. What are the differences in the 2.5 and 2.5V? Is the V better for a center speaker? Would I be able to find a 2.5V and then get 2 more 2.5s or 1.5s for the surrounds? I found that when I had 2 surrounds, they were too small to match the KG 5.5 mains (I think they were some form of Klipsch satellite designed for surrounds, they looked like the ProMedia satellites, but had black/red connections on the back and were much heavier than their look-alike PC sound counterparts...).

Thanks for starting this thread, I really want to find a decent center speaker and surrounds to match my setup, and it sounds like you're in a similar situation.

Yes, the "V" is the designation for Video which just means the speaker is magnetically shielded with bucking magnets so it wont' distort your CRT television picture tube. Using more 2.5's and some 1.5's in the rear is a great idea. If you can get a pair of 3.5's, 4.5's, or another pair of 5.5's in the rear position even better. Check Craiglist in your area, AudioGon and eBay they do come up with some regularity so it should not take to long to acquire the speakers that you need. Sounds like you have a good plan, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the quick reply. I edited my first post, since I remembered: I used to have Quintet surrounds, since they were wall-mountable I thought it would be better for my setup! Turns out it stunk...

I also just bought a 50" Pioneer Plasma (PDP-5080HD), so I don't have any concern with video shielding any more.

Will a KG 2.5 provide good center sound? The things I like about the Pinnacle center are that it had 4x woofers and a tweeter, and was nice and long. Its overall sound was excellent, but it didn't match the Klipsch's in the least bit. If I use a KG 2.5, will it be enough to act as a center? Also, if I use a KG 2.5 for the center, would it make sense to use 2.5s for the surrounds as well? Or should I go a little smaller with the 1.5s (I don't have any more room for any more floorstanders, I only have a 1 bedroom apartment).

Is there another alternative? I see that some people have "built" their own center, using the K-85 tweeter or Tractrix horn from the KG 5.5s or 4.5s (Is that tweeter part of the horn itself?). I have no experience with building speakers, but with a background in residential construction, I'm certainly well-versed in power and hand tools! Would this be a challenging thing to do?

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully this helps and doesn't hijack the thread! And sorry for so many questions, I keep coming up with more!

The KG 2.5 will provide good sound for the center it is robust and can play loud - it's a Klipsch afterall. Does it make sense to use them in the rear too, absolutely.

If you want to get creative you can modify a KG 3.5, 4.5, or 5.5 for center use by modifying or replacing the front baffle, it has been done here before. Run a search and see what comes up.

Jason, welcome aboard! I have KG-5.5s as mains and KG-1.5s and a KG-2.2V as a center and the system works well and matches pretty good. Klipsch speakers have uniqe natural sound (some report them being a bit sharp and found this in poor recordings and not the speaker) and found you need to match them with the correct speakers. I found this out with the KG and RC series. I was lucky to find a KG-2.2V in like new condition and found it to be a excellent match although there were some changes in the drivers but sound wise this may be splitting hairs. I at the time couldn't find a KG-2.5 and found a KG-2.2V to work great! As far as your surrounds, I have the KG-1.5 and they do an excellent job as well! AL.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm back to the well of education at the Klipsch Form again for guidance. I did get a very nice mint condition KG-2.2V (because I couldn't find a KG-2.5) and it sound okay but I think it has a tone of a small drive and woundering if a KV-4 would do a better job. Has anyone heard a KV-4 with a set of KG-5.5s? Would this be closer them a KG-2.2V? Thanks in advance. I know have a KV-2, RC-35 and a KG-2.2V and now looking in to a KV-4, AL.

No, no, no, the KV-4 while nice WILL NOT match the KG 5.5!! (It was developed for the CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, & CF-4 Epic Series of Klipsch speakers) If you want BIG sound you will need a BIG speaker. Stop wasting money on speakers that don't match the timbre of the KG 5.5.

You want big sound from the center use another KG 5.5, 4.5, or 3.5, if you want the CORRECT matching center to your KG 5.5's then that is the KG 2.5 it will sound different from the KG 2.2V but it will not sound bigger.

Here you go if you wish to buy another NON-matching center channel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KV-4-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER-HUGE-DUAL-8_W0QQitemZ280153993741QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the correct choice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KG-2-5-Bookshelf-Floorstanding-Stereo-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250166376344QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No, no, no, the KV-4 while nice WILL NOT match the KG 5.5!! (It was developed for the CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, & CF-4 Epic Series of Klipsch speakers) If you want BIG sound you will need a BIG speaker. Stop wasting money on speakers that don't match the timbre of the KG 5.5.

You want big sound from the center use another KG 5.5, 4.5, or 3.5, if you want the CORRECT matching center to your KG 5.5's then that is the KG 2.5 it will sound different from the KG 2.2V but it will not sound bigger.

Here you go if you wish to buy another NON-matching center channel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KV-4-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER-HUGE-DUAL-8_W0QQitemZ280153993741QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the correct choice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KG-2-5-Bookshelf-Floorstanding-Stereo-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250166376344QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PM Sent, Thanks! AL.