Sudden hum in system - ground loop or something else?

BillH2121

First, my system consists of Mac 2102 tube amp. C41 preamp, Mac CD205, and turntable. Everything is plugged into a Monster power strip except the amp which is plugged directly into wall socket. No problems with hum until last night. I turn on the system and hear what sounds like a ground loop hum. I unplugged the sub and hum remained - turned off cd player and still a hum. When I move output cables from output 1 to outpput 2 on the preamp, the hum still exists. Turntable is grounded to preamp. Why all the sudden would a hum appear and what's the first step for troubleshooting? Thanks

You should disconnect all feeds to the power amp and see if the hum is still there. This will prove it is a problem with the amp.

If so, the next question is whether both channels have the hum. If so, it might be a power supply filter cap gone bad. I'm stealing some of this from an earlier thread by someone more experienced than I am. Smile.

Gil

Alright - I disconnected the output innerconnects to the amp and no hum. Replaced the output innerconnects with different ones and still a hum. Looks like the amp is the culprit? I don't know if I can bear to send it back to McIntosh knowing how far behind they are on warranty work.

Maybe we're miscommunicating.

Let's assume the power amp is indeed powered up and the speakers are attached. But there are no interconnects attached feeding a signal, and thus there is no hum input possible. If it is quiet, then the power amp is not creating the hum.

Is this the case?

Gil

Maybe we're miscommunicating.

Let's assume the power amp is indeed powered up and the speakers are attached. But there are no interconnects attached feeding a signal, and thus there is no hum input possible. If it is quiet, then the power amp is not creating the hum.

Is this the case?

Gil

Gotcha - when the innerconnects are removed from preamp to the amp, there is no hum. Yeah,I was confused at first, but now I see what you mean and I'm greatly relieved its not the amp. Ok, I guess I move up the chain now and consider the preamp? I've checked all the connections to speakers and amp/preamp/cd and still the hum is there.

Going back to Bill's issue.

Does the C-41 have a monitor speaker output? I see the C-40 does. Try connecting a speaker to that. If the preamp has an internal issue causing the hum it might very well show up on the monitor speaker output. Of course try with and without any cables feeding an input to the C-41.

I'll get to vluuv 's question when I can put up some diagrams. Essentially, the cap acts as a filter or integrator, you are really charging it up and slightly discharging it in normal operation. The output of power supply is d.c. like from a battery. Also, we are really listening to the power supply. The transistors or tubes act a valves to connect the power supply to the speakers in accord to the input (which twists the handle on the valve). So you need clean d.c. from the power supply.

People are asked, is the hum in both channels. This is because typically the power supply (even with several d.c. outputs) feeds power to both channels. It is one of the few things common to both channels. The only other thing is the chassis voltage, so therefore sometimes a ground loop effects both channels. We try to eliminate that in testing by disconnecting all the feeds.

Gil

Gil