A Heresy Configuration Question

dkalsi

As many agree, the Heresy's definately need to be supplemented with a subwoofer to get hat full range sound.

What I wanted to know was if the Heresy's have a built in high-pass crossover at say 65Hz? If they do, then I can simply use a pre-out of my receiver and hook up extra subwoofer. However, if the Hesery's do not have a high-pass filter - then, in order to protect them from low fequencies, I will either need a receiver with "Sub-Out"- where I can set the cut off point on my receiver, or I have to buy and external crossover.

Basically, what I am asking is for those who have, no "Sub-Out" on your vintage tube receivers, but have "pre-outs" - are you just using the pre-outs to hook the subwoofer or is there a different approach to this?

The Heresies are nominally a full-range speaker and shouldn't need to be protected from low frequencies (the whole speaker, that is. The crossover protects the tweeters).

The sub itself should have a high-frequency cut-off, so you'd think a pre-out connection would work fine if you don't have an LFE or sub out connection.

Since the speaker does not have an abrupt low-frequency cut-off and the sub does not have an abrupt high-frequency cut-off, there will be a range where the sub blends with and augments the speakers' output. Getting that just right takes time, but it'll sound good when you get it right.

There is no high-pass crossover in the Heresy. The only rolloff is the natural 12dB/octave that every sealed enclosure exhibits.

There are a few different ways that one could implement a subwoofer with the Heresy. The simplest would be to send a full-range signal to the subwoofer and then use its own internal crossover to roll off around 50-60Hz. This would work quite well actually if the subwoofer had 12dB/octave filter in it.

Another approach would be to use a processor that filters out the lows to the Heresy and filters out the highs to the sub. These devices usually have a 12dB/octave high pass for the mains and then 24dB/octave for the subwoofer....so in the end, you end up with 24dB/octave on both sides (since it is assumed that the mains usually have a 12dB/octave rolloff). This is pretty much standard for any surround receiver.