Removing paint on a set of KGs?

SpinDoctor15

SpinDoctor

Your concern about the results is well placed, but you might find the results an improvement over the paint. The real challenge in stripping veneer is that the stripper can dissolve the veneer glue as well as stripping off the paint. With TLC, it can be done with enough care to keep the stripper from penetrating the veneer completely.

The issue of remaining black in the pores and some grain features is there. The thinness of the veneer prohibits anything more than surface prep sanding. With stain on the oak to finish, the black pores might be acceptable in the over all look. Kind of subjective in terms of judgement. I've seen some that I thought was decent in terms of results.

Mostly it will depend on the paint used. If it is "spray can" enamel you might want to try grease and wax remover for automotive use. I've used the R&M successfully on more than one occasion. It dries pretty quick and unless you really soak the veneer you won't experience and lifting issues on the veneer. Latex will come off the same with the grease and wax remover. It usually leaves a good clean surface on the veneer if you wish to re-stain afterwards. Other than that most of my efforts have been futile.

Good Luck,

Harry