Chorus update plan

Captain_Who

Okay, so after some investigation, here's the upgrade plan for my Choruses in no particular order. Please feel free to make additional suggestions, or point out errors in my thinking.

1) Replace stock crossovers with Bob Crites replacements.

2) Replace stock binding posts with Edison Price Music Posts.

3) As long as I will have these things apart, rewire when I change the crossovers. Suggestions are welcome here - 16 gauge magnet wire? Silver with cotton insulation from Chris VenHaus? None of the above?

4) When I tap on the horn shells, it seems like they may benefit from some damping. Mask the mounting surfaces and apply some kind of material to deaden the exterior of the shells?

5) Other suggestions?

I presently have $600 in this set of Choruses. They're nearly mint, but these upgrades will push the cost up to about $1K. What I don't want to do is push things past the point of diminishing returns. I'll just leave them alone, and keep my eyes open for a set of Khorns or Belle Klipsch before I go down that road.

Thanks, folks!

Todd

post-27797-13819344922848_thumb.jpg

Nope. I could never get into the red scarf thing, although that phone booth would be nice to have.

Seriously, if I had known there was a Dr. Who registered here, I would have chosen a different handle. George Carlin said on one of his albums that the funniest thing he ever heard said after someone broke wind was, "Captain who?" Seemed a perfect internet handle......

I think 1 and 4 would be worth the effort/expense. For the latter just use rope caulk from your local hardware store; it's cheap and works very well. Personally, I think options 2 and 3 are mostly just snake oil. On number 3 my comment is really directed towards that insanely expensive ($17.99/ft) wire you mentioned. I can concede that rewiring might provide a marginal benefit, but just use some quality 14+ga. OFC wire instead of going overboard.

You might wanna play around with speaker position too...perhaps a little toe-in to get them aimed right at the listening position? I've found that the tweeter on the Chorus is a bit beamy in the top-end. Also, changes in the height of your ear make rather dramatic differences in the lower mids. I would imagine that its due to interaction between the squawker and woofer in the crossover region in addition to weird polar anomalies (I think both the woofer and the squawker are beaming a bit right around 600Hz or wherever they're crossed at).

Are these Chorus I or Chorus II?