Bill F.'s AutoTuba

christjared

Has anyone heard or have constructed and listened to these AutoTuba's either in their home or their car? I am considering building two of these for my car. I was interested in how they sounded, being that they are only little 8" woofer inside the box. If anyone had any opinions or ideas concerning this box design please let me know! Thank you for your time.

Here is the link http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/autotuba.html

Thanks!

JC

I have no experience with this sub, but I would be wary of its design. Also, if you're going to go with two of them, then I would argue that you'd be better off with a single larger horn. I don't think classical horn theory applies perfectly to car environments though so I wouldn't go about trying to make your own horns.

How much are you looking to spend? I would wager that you will get more output with a normal subwoofer and that the distortion levels would be about the same. The mouth of the horn is very undersized and no way the Fc is that low either (which means most of the output is the direct radiating nature of that small driver).

Well thats no Good!!! The design was kind of up in the air for me, and I would be willing to try anything, given my trunk space. For sub purposes I was looking at either 6 of the MCM 55-2421 8" High excursion woofers, or 4 of the Tang Band 8" High excursion woofers. I can get 6 of the MCM's for the price of the TB's. So around 180.00 for woofer(s), I have an amp already, though not very powerful, it does work. The problem is I don't how these will sound compared to my current set up of two 12"s in a 3.75 ported box right now. The box that they recomend for those subs is 2 ft3 a side so 4 ft3 total, but I messed up the height of my box and had to trim it down to fit. My main goal was trying to get more output, and sound quality, than my two 12's with out spending a huge amount of money, and to use my current amp that I have. Another vission of the sub system was to be differnt. I really do not want to be like every other individual around the area with either Kicker, MTX, or RF, ... I hope that those woofers could be easily outdo two 12" subs. Thanks for the clue about horns in the car. I still want to hear one, but if I can allocate my funds towards a better sounding set up I will have to do it, and save some money later and try it. Thanks again!

JC