Question On K-85-K Klipsch Horns

IDOXLR8

I have a set on KG-5.5 towers and they have a pointed fine mesh cover in the middle of the Tractrix horn, do all the K-85-K horns have this fine mesh cover? What is it for? I looking into buying a extra set of K-85-K horns and did not see this cover on them, can I buy this or is this something that Klipsch dropped? AL.

• Like 1

My pair of KG5.5s don't have any fine mesh screens, and neither did the replacement K-85-K horn I ordered a couple years ago. Is this screen in place (or in addition to) the phase plug? Could you take a picture and post it here (using the Option tab you can attach pics)?

Hit reply then when you're typing your message look above where you're typing and you should see four tabs labeled: Compose, Options, Related, Preview. The Compose one will be the one selected (by default) but if you select the Options one next to it you'll be allowed to attach a file (via the Add/Update button on that tab).

Hit reply then when you're typing your message look above where you're typing and you should see four tabs labeled: Compose, Options, Related, Preview. The Compose one will be the one selected (by default) but if you select the Options one next to it you'll be allowed to attach a file (via the Add/Update button on that tab).

Her it goes, see if it works, AL.

post-27352-13819348881568_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The pic in this post is of a K-85-K horn that came with a KG4.2 that I briefly owned. So with the addition of your "new" type of K-85-K horn, we now know that Klipsch has made at least three different version of this horn.

post-2398-13819348918908_thumb.jpg

I guess the style horn you got would depend on manufacture date and what was in stock at the time. I found a set of K-85-K horns I'm buying from a member for some spares or may build a cabnet and use them in my other system to help my Cerwin Vega! H-15 HED's for better highs, AL.

• Like 1

Dude, you've got a pair of Cerwin Vega HED H-15s too!?!? I plan to replace the stock horns in mine with the parts from Klipsch's Heritage line. I already have a pair of K-57-K midrange horns, K-79-K tweeter horns, and a two sets of crossovers -- I just need the time to do it. What year are you H-15s? I found an old sticker in mine that had a inspection date of Oct 1977 I believe. I bought the pair cheap from my high school (because the woofer's foam had rotted so they sounded bad). I had the woofers reconed (by Cerwin Vega) in the early 90s and the crossovers have been reworked, but other than that they're still stock.

Dude, you've got a pair of Cerwin Vega HED H-15s too!?!? I plan to replace the stock horns in mine with the parts from Klipsch's Heritage line. I already have a pair of K-57-K midrange horns, K-79-K tweeter horns, and a two sets of crossovers -- I just need the time to do it. What year are you H-15s? I found an old sticker in mine that had a inspection date of Oct 1977 I believe. I bought the pair cheap from my high school (because the woofer's foam had rotted so they sounded bad). I had the woofers reconed (by Cerwin Vega) in the early 90s and the crossovers have been reworked, but other than that they're still stock.

I have two systems, one up stairs and one down stairs. Up stairs I have 4 Cerwin Vega! H-15's HED and a Pioneer VSX-09TX 5.1 KV-3 and a Velodyne F1500R and down stairs another Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX, KG-5.5 for fronts, KG-2.5 rears, KG-2.2V center, 2 SW-10 (L&R) 1 Velodyne F1800RII. Cerwin Vega! has excellent service. I got mine around the same time as you and had foam suround issues on the 15 in drivers and crossover issues. I tried to buy the parts to fix them and Cerwin Vega! would not sell me parts, instead they told me to send everything but the cabinets. A week later I got a package from Cerwin Vega! of Semi Valley Ca. NO CHARGE! Then I ask them about my foam grills that were falling a part and they sent me 4 new up dated cloth covered grill with the cool metal grill name plates, you guessed it NO CHARGE! When I got mine they were cooked and used in a popular club, abused and fairly new at the time and I had made it clear I was interest in them. I got two right away and kept after the guy who had the other two and would not give them up. Well 5 years later I found the guy again and ask about the other 2 HED's and he said you can have them. They were under his deck outside!! grill missing cones tore up where his kids poked crayons threw the drivers and the wetness on the ground started swelling the sides of the cabnets. I sent all the inside parts to Cerwin Vega! and got all new parts and sent the cabnets to a shop that makes counter tops and went with a real looking Old English Oak Formica laminate. They had the rough spackle finish with round corners from the factory for comercial use. BTW I built matching stands to get them off the floor. I've had them over 25 years, there keepers, pictures opon request, thanks for your post, AL.

• Like 1

Wow you did get a sweet (no charge) deal from Cerwin Vega. I wish I'd been treated half as good as you! I had to spend $90 (plus shipping to them) to get each one of my woofers reconed!! Yes, please post a picture oro two of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay. another question on Klipsch K-85-K horn tweeters. I'm looking into "doing a STL" and building a center channel but not to the huge level! BTW, STL, nice job on your center channel! I bought a set of K-85-K horn tweeters and saw the plastic front part is removable, if the plastic front part is removed can the main driver be idenified? Is there something stamped on the driver part? The reason for the question is I want to make sure the K-85-K driver is correct and not switched out with another driver.

post-27352-13819353703472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1