What comes afer DD and DTS?

kenratboy

OK. We had mono, then WHAM, stereo. A few decades later, Dolby Pro Logic blew us away. A decade after that, Dolby Digital and DTS made their big appearance and home theater became ever more popular among the masses, what more do I have to say than home-theater-in-a-box. Anyway, what will come after DD and DTS. I can barely fit five speakers and a sub in my room, let alone 6.1, 7.1 Whats going to be the next big thing in the world of home theater, more speakers, or something much, much better.

it is a single panel that holds i think 6 to 12 speakers that does your surround sound... i read about it in a magazine, saw the pics online... pretty nice, so nice looking you really don't need the tv Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Possibly more channels. Definatly digital manipulation and adjustment of the signal to correct for speaker and room anomalies as with the Perpetual Technologies gear. Of course we already have PLII which I hope to hear at the CES and T.H.E. shows next week. Expect they'll be a lot of new stufff there. Also, I think future speakers will be individually amped internally after a digital signal is fed to them, digitally crossovered (is that a word?) and amped for each speaker.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

The next step is an THX certified theater effects simulator. Gives you the bad smells, incessant talking, cell phone ringing, crying kids, cheesy commercials and the like for a true theater experience. The optional module locks your bathroom door on movies that exceed two hours for squirm effects. And it will only be $1999.99 - a must have.

By the way, you left out quadraphonic in the formats (SQ quad is what Dolby ProLogic was developed from). Today's home theater market reminds me quite a bit of the hype used to push quadraphonic in the 70's, except there's more equipment to buy. But it sure sounds and works better than quad ever did!

This message has been edited by Audioholic on 12-31-2001 at 08:55 AM

Speaking of quad sound systems, When Emerson, Lake & Palmer came out "Brain Salad Surgery" back in 1973 (showing my age again) they went out on tour with a quad sound system - awesome, awesome, awesome. I saw the show at the Baltimore Civic Center & can't describe the sound from that show. Music was whipping all over the place, around in circles etc. Definitely a very different concert experience. Anyway, "Brain Salad Surgery" is out on DVD-Audio. I was hoping for that concert atmosphere and got it. The surround sound mix is great.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 01-01-2002 at 02:27 PM

yea I think I was the only in my iowa town of 22,000 to have a quad receiver in the early 70s - pioneer QX-747 i believe. cwm3.gif

only trouble was u also needed 4 speakers, a quad turntable cartridge & quad LPs. at 12, I never did get enough $ for 2 more good speakers (besides my then Infinity 2000 cwm20.gif)

did try it w/ a drive-in & lil pa speaker though, & did get that pseudo rotating sound effect. i think today's

prologic sounds better though Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I had the mod quad set up.Still have my rear speakers today.Like boa,I wasn't terribly impressed.Multi-channel,be it DVD-Audio or SACD,is where real music is at.2-channel is dead,much like quad.Happy New Year to all!

Keith