Cornwall crossover question

JSP

I have a pair of Cornwall I that I believe to be all original. Since they are about twenty five years old, I am thinking that the crossovers could stand to be recaped or upgraded to new design.

If I opt for just recaping, what values and type/brand of caps are recommended? I see that the prices of caps range for only a couple of bucks each to very pricey. Can one really hear a better sound clarity with high priced caps or is it just marketing hype?

If I opt for new xovers what are the recommended design xover points and slope?

Since I am a rookie in this area I'm looking for good advise from guys who know what they are talking about!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

JSP

Boy, I'll stay out that fight!!! Opinions on caps can range throughout the "spectrum", so... I have two pairs of Cornwalls, both "vintage". Both are re-capped (which really needs to be done after 20+ years - everyone generally agrees on that). I use Bob Crites (Forum ID: BEC) "cap kits". Bob has done all my other Heritage capping projects, and uses Sonicaps. I can say that after re-capping, all of my Heritage speakers sound much better. Better = not "muddy", more clear, better definition to the instruments/ vocals. Hope that is some assistance and a starting point.