klipschorn built self made

momix58

wanting to build self made to klipschorn I have found 2 different projects:

the first one is more next to the original (wide front 31,5 inch) and the second perhaps more old (wide front 23,6 inch).

Substantial difference is in the inside room (dog house) that it results greater (to see photo of the construction).

is there someone who has already had similar experience?

post-27348-1381934963758_thumb.jpg

I built from the SpeakerLab plans and these are supposed to be a good copy of the K-Horn as produced by the factory. These are the wide version of 31.5 inches.

The 23.6 inch version, I'm quite sure, is the early design. It may be set up for a 12 inch woofer.

PWK changed the design early on to allow more volume in the back chamber, what you are calling the dog house. (Actually, I've only seen that term used to refer to the structure of the LaScala where is is much more similar to a dog house. (And I like to say . .. the woofer lives in there.)

Gil

The narrow one could be the Electro-Voice KD-2 construction plan version ( plans sold by Electro-Voice in the 1950's-60"s) also sold built by Electro-Voice as "The Georgian". They both used a 15" Electro Voice woofer, would have to check, the EV woofers used the 13"x6" slot rather than the K-horn 13"x3" slot.

Hi Domenico,

The first version with the wide front was build by me [:)]. I build it as close as i could (regarding the internal dimensions) like the current KHorns. Differences are thicker side panels (about 3/4 instead of 1/2), and the modified dog house door. (and the top riser is a bit too high).

The right version looks like the first versions from 1941, when it was patented and was build for a 12'' woofer (with instructions how to use a 15'' inch version).

The difference between them is in the back chamber volume, which is larger in the wide front version (even the volume of the 'wings' belongs to the back chamber). This volume is adjusted to compensate the increasing reactance at the horns cutoff frequency to enhance the horns load on the woofer.

As PWK changed the construction to the larger volume, i won't go back to the smaller one. And be sure, the larger one works very well [:)].

Regards,

Thomas

Have understood! I had suspected these reasons.
but very often the reduced dimensions could be important
to overcome problems of cohabitation with other tables, couches etc....

according to you, what loudspeaker from 12" it can be climbed on in the small version in substitution of that original (k33E)?

You know wath is the theoretical efficiency of the original k33 ?

Thank you

Here is a link where some of the things were discussed: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/577465.aspx

There you can also find the K 33 E listed in a table, where about 92 db efficiency is stated.

Here you can find different values: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/221162.aspx

As these are newer, i guess they are correct. And don't forget, that it has 4 Ohms only, so equal output voltage of the amp will provide twice the power compared to an 8 Ohm version.

From theory the high Qt value (0.39) isn't that good for a horn, but i read statements that for the KHorn it is the best driver you can get (http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm), and it's cheap.

I have no information, which 12'' driver would fit, and to be honest, i won't build the small front panel version. The reduced dimension won't help to overcome space problems with couches and things like this, because the horn needs 3-4 feet free space on each side, be it the small or the wide one.

Thomas