RB-51s and RC-52.... Do I need an amp?

slammy77

I have a Sony surround receiver that's 100w x 4 channels. I currently have little Sony sattelite speakers (5 of them that came with my receiver) and the Klipsch Synergy 10" powered sub. I'm looking to upgrade the front of my system now with a pair of RB-51s and the RC-52 center and then add the RS-42s in a few months.

I'm wondering2 things.... 1. How much of an improvement will this be over what I've got? 2. And more importantly, will I have to buy and amp for this setup?

Well I'm not really sure how you can power a system in a 5.1 config. with a receiver that is only four channel (typo by you??) But I would say go for the speakers now, there will be an amazing difference. You will likely experience alot more of the effects of movies (for instance more of an idea how close that bullet was to just killing the main character) and as a secondary bonus, you'll be able to turn it up alot more as the new speakers are likely more sensitive than your current ones.

But going back to the beginning, if your receiver is infact 4.1 then you'll have to change that.