Questions Regarding Custom Series

Fud

I was going to wait until initial impressions from members of head-fi came in...but it looks like interest over there isn't as high as I had hoped and i'll be one of the first community guinea pigs =P

Before I make my order though, I had a few questions to ask, specifically about the custom 2 but the same questions apply for the whole series.

Firstly, is the cable braided or just a regular smooth plastic jacket? Its not too important, but braided cables are just a bonus for me. And are there any pictures lying around that have a close up of someone wearing the custom 2s? I like to lay on my side when I listen sometimes, and to have to earphones flush to my ear is pretty important. How many dbs of isolation are the custom 2s rated at?

• Moderators

From the feedback I've gotten from Head-Fiers, they are waiting for the Custom-3s, and/or other people to post comments.

The cables for Custom series are cloth braided.

You should be able to see several pictures on our mini-site here http://www.klipsch.com/headphones/ and we'll also be getting some "training" close up shots soon.

I'm a Head-fi lurker, well, not so much now as being in IRAQ the internet sucks, anyway I went ahead and bought the IMAGE set. I for one can't wait to try them out. I had the Shure e3c's (or what ever they are called) and they were VERY uncormfortable. Never could get use to the foam thingy infact, I got an inner ear infaction from using them! It may have been bad luck but I think I am one of the wierd people with small ear canals...

Will let you know how they feel when I get them!

• Moderators

Hey Mitch,

I'm one of those weird people too....I have to have the smallest tips, which I don't think anyone else here has needed. I feel your pain! I think you'll love the IMAGE though....I do [:)] The tips that work the best for me are the small double flange ones...

Definitely let us know!

@ amy: Looking back at the thread on head-fi, it does seem the interest is mostly for the custom 3s. I would imagine the majority of sales would come from the budget models, but usually its the lurkers that are more inclined to go for those and NOT post impressions -_-

@ mitch: I love it when lurkers come forward, especially when they come forward to post impressions on very promising looking headphones. I'm looking forward to a lengthy and detailed review from you, time permitting of course. I thought Klipsch doesn't ship to APO or FPO...manage to make some special arrangements for that? As for IEMs causing ear infections, alcohol swabs after using your earphones should do the trick for middle ear...but inner, that's very unusual for that to happen... I tend to avoid anything but mild soap and water for fear that they wear the tips down faster. Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions?

@Amy... Nice! I will most def give those a try, I am really stoked to get them in and can't wait to start enjoying my music again! It's the best part of being deployed, there is a good bit of "Me" time. I take advantage of that and really just kick back and listen to my music. My okay headphones I had previously broke last week (fell asleep with them on) so now I am without. But no biggie, the wait will be worth it! It may take a little longer than I would like but it's better than not having them at all! Expected delivery date, Thanksgiving!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

@Fud... Klipsch doesn't ship to APO/FPO from what I can tell, so I had to get a special arrangement. It's called the Wify redirect!

@Professor... I will ask for some in my next care package, Good to know it will not affect them!

I just discovered that the Custom 2 don't have a crossover =( I was all gung ho about picking up a pair, and now I'm second guessing making the purchase a little more. Professor, why no crossover? Doesn't that configuration make the Custom 2 a Custom 1 with a beefier low end but little improvement in detail and separation? Too bad the Custom 3 is out of my price range. Perhaps amy could find a way to put a pair in a draw in the new sponsor forum at head-fi? Nothing creates marketing buzz like a contest =P

Custom 2 has an acoustic low pass filter, which allows for additional bass while yielding phase coherent high frequency.

Alright then, I guess the Custom 2s are back on the purchase list =D Why are both the crossover and the high and low pass filters on the Custom 3 then? Is there that much interference, or do the filters shape the sound signature of the earphones as well?