Cornwalls

Jay Registrar

Cornwall I's vs Cornwall II's? I own C-I's, and am deciding whether to go look at a pair of II's (8615XXX) is the serial # I was given. If I am correct, that would be made in 1986 and a C-II. My questions are: Which is the better speaker and why? Or are they basically the same except one is sealed and has newer guts?

Thanks for your help!

I own '79 Cornwalls (considered I's that are being sold regretably due to space) and I've read here that many prefer the I's over the II's in overall sonics. Since I've never audioned II's I cannot say which would sound better...only your ears could decide that. And as far as I know, no Cornwall is sealed (maybe a pro model or an early prototype? Correct me if I'm wrong)...they're all ported. The smaller Heresys are in sealed enclosures, although there may have been a ported pro model, I'm not sure.

Both very good, but slightly different. I had both and chose to keep the CWI's and sell the CWIIs. Some prefer the K79 tweeter (CWII) to the K77 tweeter (CWI). If you think you want upgrade crossovers and such, the CWI's will be easier to tweek.