Has anyone tried ALK crossovers in the Hersey

rjones5296

Hello
Im reading up on the ALK page and was wondering if anyone has tried the ALK crossover under DIY for the Cornwall but adaptable to the Hersey ?
Any comments out there on this ? I have rebuilt my E2 crossovers with oil caps from Bob Crites and non polars from Parts Express.
After the cap change the speakers are much better the levels on the drivers are matched channel to channel.
But, after looking at Al's crossovers I'm wondering if they might better the original crossovers.

bob

I'm working on getting the parts list together, I'm close to parts express so the caps are local, the large inductors are pretty pricey.
I'd really like to get 2 new transformers, so i can keep my original xovers intact. But cost aside this looks like a pretty cool project.
I bought the Herseys at a flea market with a receiver for $31 so Im still in pretty good shape, I did sink $200 into redoing the cabinets, so im still ahead.

The only complaint about my Herseys is the mid/high is pretty forward sounding, and my room is about 14x14. So im hoping I can get the Herseys ballanced and smooth.
I have an engineer friend that is basically a filter guru, he wants to have a look at what im working on also, he is more of an Edgar horn and JBL woofer guy.
His comment is with the Hersey, tweek the xover and add a decent woofer/sub and they will really perform.

I did chenge the xover caps with aerovox caps that I got from Bob Crites, definite improvment there, I liked the oil caps better than the Solens I tried.
My Herseys are running K22 woofers, K53 mids and K77m tweeters.

I liked the oil caps better than the Solens I tried...

No surprise there.

I've tried all of the different network mods and networks for the Heresy. Keep it simple; the top is too hot in relationship to the bottom (a common complaint). So, put a 15 ohm resistor in parallel with squawker, you can screw it right to the + - spots on barrier strip for the squawker. Then move the tweeter from tap 2 to tap 1, and the squawker from tap 3 to tap 2. This lowers the midrange and treble by 3dB which brings the bass up and makes the speaker sound much more balanced. The 15 ohm resistor means you don't have to change the primary capacitor value. IOW's, it keeps the crossover points the same. I suggest you try it, you probably won't feel the need to do anything else.

Changing cap types when using the same values will only change the distortions being introduced by the original cap. One thing it will not change is the frequency response of the system. Some people might perceive distortions as part of the frequency response, but that's a totally different topic altogether.

I'm with Dean on this one - keep it simple and just pad the MF/HF down 3dB. The Heresy was voiced for the 6dB of gain added to the woofer response when the cabinet is tucked into the corner of a room. If you've got the speaker anywhere else in the room, you're only going to be experiencing ~3dB of boundary gain (which will require the woofer to be relatively hotter).

Btw, how much are fancy networks going to cost you? I wonder if it wouldn't be more cost effective to consider active crossovers instead (and then you can correct for the pathlength differences between drivers).