Any McIntosh advisors here

Raptor22

Note: Only listing items here to give you a sense of what I have beeen using, NOT FOR SELLING

Been around a little while. Collecting and selling to my buddies thru out my military career, back in the day..buy in Japan Y300 yen to the buck, sell to your bud while on leave and then buy another one next year. Always on the buy of mid-fi because I couldn't afford it the "upper crust" and partied the rest. Oh, then it was Crown, McIntosh and Phase Liner but I don't remember the order that I picked for amp/pre-amp/tuner, each was different brand. Never wanted tubes.Oh, but if I had all the bucks now or not spent foolishly then, what a system I've have. In my 50's now, married with a 3 and 6 year old!!

My system today consists of:
Denon AVR-4306 9/10 (used as pre/pro now, hate the preamp section for music)
2 Onkyo M-508s 9/10
1 Onkyo M-504 9/10 (have additional 504, is inop)
1 Onkyo M-5060R 8/10
1 Onkyo P-304 8/10
1 Onkyo P-308 9/10
Klipsch Chorus IIs 9/10 (used as mains on HT as well, switched w/either Niles speaker selector or manually, rest of HT is Academy, Quartets and RS-7s)

Arriving this week:
Pro_Ject RM 5SE turntable
McIntosh MC2505 ( seen in the past auction http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

McIntosh C-28 (seen here http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

I can not buy another thing period unless I were to sell off some of the Onkyo stuff.

I don't know what the condition of the amp and pre-amp is.

My question (s):
1) Simply looking at the auctions and using you knowledge of Mc, is this something worth fixing if it turns out bad (throw good money after bad).

2) If all is well, should I immediately forward to a refurb shop and have blueprinted (sorry, I'm a motor head and that's my term)

3) Any thoughts on how much $ not to exceed on either of the above?

I looked at the link for the 2505...it looks like it's in Hi....long trip to the US and odds of shipping damage is high....few sellers on ebay know how to pack Mcintosh gear. I didn't check the C-28.

I personally went to pick up all my Mcintosh gear in person. Too many horror stories of shipping damage.

You have enough Onkyo gear that depending on where you were headed would pay for almost anything decent from a reputable Mcintosh used gear dealer.

Both units look nice and the prices are very reasonable. Speakerfritz is right about shipping. Glass faces + UPS = Danger. I would request both sellers to remove the glass face plates then pack very carefully and BUY INSURANCE. I have been lucky (and patient) enough to find my Cornwalls and McIntosh gear within driving distance and gone to personally pick them up. McIntosh power amps are heavy and hard to pack well without a McIntosh packing carton. If you get them, listen first then decide if you need work. There is a guy named Terry Dewick on the AudioKarma forum that has a great reputation for McIntosh repairs / refurbs. You will love them. Mc amps love Klipsch.

• Like 1

Last minute I got into auctions and then learned the remove knobs/faceplate, ask the sellers both said "I'm not touching, let's get insurance" so I did. My fingers are crossed.

Really my question to mc folks is, given model what's the limit on refurb vs. get another pair...staying ss, not tube. It would dribve me crazy thinking roll tube, rolll tube.

See it all happened this weekend when I heard my amps on a set of JBL 250s of a new friend when I went WOW, how efficient are my speakers and I really don't need 400 watts of Mc (unaffordable) to power them. I only get to hear mine and a neighbor's cars stereo in a basement.

I always try to drive to get my speakers and MC equipment...if possible.

Pretty much every major city has a McIntosh fixit guru. Do some searching and you will find yours.

One secret.... McIntosh makes new glass and light bulbs for EVERY thing they have built. My 2105 had broken glass and I got it for a steal on Epay, I think the glass and new light bulbs cost $100 way less than the amps undervalued bidding. As long as you have the front off, you might as well change all the light bulbs too.

As long as the equipment you are bidding on has original power supplies and autoformers, everything else can be repaired.

They are like Klipsch speakers, they last forever. I'll be able to give my 1960 - 70's MC equipment to my grandkids someday.

JM