Best Cornwall vintage?

horn player

There are two pairs of Cornwalls for sale within 1.5 hours of me. One pair is from 1984, the other pair is from the "70's", but I haven't reached the owner yet, so I don't know the exact year. They're similarily priced. Any comments as to which would be the best pair to get? I read a lot of advertisements boasting about alnico magnets, so would the older pair possibly have these? I hope to buy one of the pairs this weekend. Thanks!

With regard to the 1984's, They may be Cornwall's, Cornwall 1.5's or Cornwall II's. It will depend on the drivers.

If the 77's are in acceptable cosmetic shape, they would be my choice if they have original drivers.

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

Horn Player, I too would go with the earlier vintage but what you should check is which network they use ... The '80's version will use a B-2 network, and if you're lucky, the 70's will use the B.

The B is a little warmer and smoother sounding and is the overall preference for this board, I think. It sounds pretty close to Al K's wonderful network, but Al's is a bit better.

Good luck!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Thanks for your Cornwall input Mike & Chris,

Well, unfortunately for me, the owner of the ones I really wanted, the older ones, decided not to sell them. I congratulated him on his good decision, even though they were in great shape and only 650! So then I went on to plan "B" yesterday morning and picked up the other pair listed, a decent pair of '84 model Oak 1.5's for 700. At least I didn't have to pay shipping!

Now I need to sell off a pair of '96 oak Heresy II's and some single Heritage speakers: 1985 walnut Belle, 1985 walnut Cornwall 1.5, 1985 painted LaScala.

i have early '84 cornwall w/ the metal tweeter horn mounted from inside & the original networks, & they sound great.

guess after mine in later '84 they started w/ the plastic horn tweeter that were later used in the cornwall II, but still mounted from the inside. is that what makes them 1.5? (sorry haven't been over this detail for a while Smile.gif)

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-06-2002 at 07:56 PM