Filling the room with sound.

cyscott

Hi,

First time poster here. I've been putting together a system the past few weeks and bieng cheap as I am have been putting it together with odds and ends picked up at bargin prices. I'm using a Denon AVR-1802 and have a pair of KSF 8.5's for the mains and quintets in the back along with a ksw 10 sub. I'm using the built in speakers on my RCR console TV as the center chanel spliced in mono with a Y cable. System sounds great in the center of the room. But it is a large room and the sound goes dead anywhere off center. Plenty of base but the mids and highs are lacking. What I was thinking was to add another set of quintets in the front on the second main hookups aimed off axis from the mains to fill in the sound. Any Ideas on if this might work or maybe other options?

Scott

I'd suggest replacing the current center channel configuration with a good center speaker. Using the two TV speakers for center is a problem in many different ways. Especially because the center is the MOST important speaker in Home Theater. Start there before buying more Quintets for room fill. Think you'll be on the proper track. You can then position the 8.5's for better results.

cyscott,

Although Bob G. is correct (he's always correct!). There is one other quick fix to tide you through the time spent saving money and researching your next Klipsch speaker purchase (possibly a KSC-C1 which could be found very cheap on either ubid or ebay...say $100 to $125). You could try using the "phantom center mode" setting on your reciever. This mode will send the center channel speaker signal to your main L & R speakers equally thus creating the aural illusion ( "aural illusion"...I like that term...I wonder if Bose already has a patent on that!)that you have a center channel speaker...and the timbre match will be perfect!

Good Luck!

Dave

Thanks guys,

I was playing around with the reciver last night and tried the phantom mode. It sounds Ok but I have the speakers 16' apart and the speach sounded disconected. I was able to make some progress on the sound by raising the speakers 1 1/2' off the floor. That seemed to help some. How far should the speakers be from the wall? I'm definatly looking for a good center chanel speaker. Is the one you suggested the right match for my rig?

Scott