Need some help setting up PS3 with HK AVR 235

Akiramats1

New to the board and not really savvy with some of the connections required to make the PS3 work with my tv and receiver. Given that the receiver does not have a HDMI port, I was going to connect the tv and the PS3 with the HDMI (read somewhere that the audio portion of the PS3 can be routed separately to the receiver) and then the AVR 235 to the PS3 through an optical cable.

My questions are the following:

-What kind of HDMI cable do I need? I went on a site called monoprice.com and saw tons of different cables so I wanted to make sure I get the right one.

-What kind of optical cable do i need to hook up the receiver?

If anyone has this setup, it would be greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with your thoughts as to how well it works. Also my DVD player crashed and I was planning to use the PS3 in that capacity as well as the blue-ray, does anyone think that this setup would be an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Akira

There may be differing opinions on cables, but in my opinion when it comes to digital optical cables , brand name etc. makes no difference. It is passing digital information, quality of sound will not be affected by different cables. However since you will be using an optical cable vs. HDMI you will not be able to use the lossless PCM audio on blueray, you will be stuck using dolby digital, optical cable does not have the bandwith to support the newer audio formats on blueray.

I recently upgraded my monitor to a 1080p plasma. I thought the same theory was true to hdmi cables as it is with optical cables(digital info is unaffected by brand, price of cable), the salesguy at BB talked me into purchasing new hdmi cables, he stated older hdmi cables may not have enough bandwith to support 1080p. I did go ahead and get new cables, but I am still not sure about the truth of this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in and can clarify this.

There was some murmur online and in the trade rags about older cables not being able to work with 1080p; to some degree I'm sure this was encouraged to raise cable sales. My 30' belden HDMI from blue jeans cable does fine with a 1080p signal from my PS3.

Set the ps3 audio out to bitstream.

I fairly recently bought a couple of cheap optical cables from the dollar store and they lasted about a month before the ends on both cables broke. You had to wiggle the ends to get a signal to go through. So my advice would be to not buy super cheap ones but get mid priced ones with ends that look sturdy.

I have a PS3 in my living room set up just like yours. My reciever doesn't have HDMI so I ran the cheapest monster cable HDMI cable right to the TV. For audio I run the cheapest monster cable optical cable to the receiver. I also use my PS3 as a regular DVD player as well and the picture quality looks great. With the new update for it, it has upscaling for regular DVDs that works pretty good.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am planning on hooking all of the components up later this week when the cable arrive. I hope that the cables work like they did for most of you.

So it seems setting up the HDMI connection is pretty straight forward, while the audio should be changed to bitstream. Did anyone experience any lag between the audio and video under this setup.