My New (used) ECC88 NOS

hammertop

Three hours ago, a knock at the door, signed for a package from the Nederlands. Inside a Quad of Amperex Bugle Boys ECC88s opened up the pre and pulled the Yugoslavian 6DJ8s, dropped in the BBs and fired everything up and WOW!!!! Been playing sence. Right now Tull, TAAB. Digs deeper into the woofers, really crisp, clean and above all dead quite. Mids and tweats way more defined, super clear. I think I'll keep them, can't beleive it took 12 years to do it. Next the VRD!

Enjoy!

Ahhhhh....the joys of the peak of the vacuum tube era[:D] I have done similar here with my gears over the last few years.....from discovery of the gear to discovery of that gear with GOOD tubes. I too am a big fan of the Amperex tubes....whether it's 12AX7, 12AU7, or 6DJ8, I find them all to be excellent.

Regarding your VRDs, you will find similar improvements with Amperex Holland 12AX7/12AU7 (assuming you are using the JJs most start out with). The VRDs sound good with the JJ (I got sold on the VRDs with all stock/current tubes), but the Amperexes sound much more fluid, organic.....just NATURAL.

I just changed the 12ax7 in my Blueberry for a Mullard 12ax7 and heard an improved bottom and mid, full and rich. I have been looking for a sub for the 6dj8, by your discription the Amperex sound like it's worth a try. Where did you source them?

Tom

Not sure of this, but remember reading that the 12au7s have more a impact then 12ax7s if only upgrading a pair at a time? I don't know. I'm sure I'll not pass on either when opportunity comes. Be it ax or au, IMHO, both would be a improvement over the JJs (not to take anything from the stock tubes, they are nice).

Source......... Took the chance on epay, only after communications w/ the seller, bid my max and let it go, TADA! When they arrived, all was as he emailed me. Still, untill they got here I was on edge. This because of other threads about fake NOS 6DJ8 / ECC88.

Did me right!

Its all about communacations!

Enjoy