Opportunistic 6.1/7.1

boa12

i was just thinking (look out Smile.gif) on my future conversion to HT in the 2nd room. i've got

this vintage kenwood stereo receiver & marantz sr8000 back there. but the sr8000 is just 5.1 max decoding & hook-ups. so whenever i do get the added speakers, why not just run the sr8000 2 rear preouts to the big ken's aux inputs & switch it to mono. then attach 1 or 2 speakers to it for rear surround.

should give a similar rear surround matrixed effect as ex or es. seen some doing this w/

a prologic receiver, but a stereo reciver in mono should work pretty much the same.

just wanted to bring this up for possible problems &/or

info purposes. i'm a long way off from doing it (I hope for $ sake ).

though after reading about dolby digital EX @ www.dolby.com realize i wouldn't get the

same effect as EX encoded material & a processor w/ dolby EX decoding. here a

seperate 6th channel matrixed from info on the surround channels is actually

encoded/decoded. imagine the same would hold true for DTS 6.1 ES encoding &

decoding.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-03-2002 at 11:01 PM

If I'm reading your description correctly, it wouldn't work.

The prologic receiver will take the stereo rear signal and decode a matrixed signal for the rear center, taking (that's my understanding at least) ONLY the sounds that are recorded at the same level left and right and putting them in the middle.

What your setup would achieve is take ALL the info from the stereo rear signal and transform it into a common rear center. It's completely different from matrixing, as matrixing extracts the relevant info while you'd just be taking all of it and putting it in the middle (in addition to the left and right).

Correct me if I'm wrong guys!

good point seb! prologic does extract just the mono info from a stereo signal to form a center channel. yea w/ a stereo receiver in mono here it would sum together all the discrete RL & RR channel info w/ 5.1 material. that could take away from the directionality effects of discrete RL & RR channels.

though it shouldn't be any dif w/ prologic material, wouldn't want that on dolby dig 5.1 or dts stuff.

well then guess i'd use the sony de935 for that & move the big ken to the bedroom. thanks!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yea, good point indeed! As I overlooked the switching to mono statement. However, if the Kenwood or Sony has L/R main ins, you could connect marantz pre-outs which would pass the surround decoded signals to L/R main ins of Ken or Sony which would power the added speakers. That would be similar to what I'm doing with outboard stereo amps. The decoded surround signals for my additional fronts & rears are passed to the additional amps for those speakers. Think this would work, depending on the capabilities of your Kenwood and Sony receivers. Hopefully I understand what want to accomplish!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-05-2002 at 09:01 AM

posted detailed reply in tech ?'s. use a dolby pro-logic receiver to matrix center rear. see post for more info. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner