DoubleJ visits with a couple of Fellow Forum Members

DoubleJ

An accidental visit to the "Subwoofer" section of the forum turned into an opportunity to visit with Dexter and a re-visit with the Boomacs'.

It all started with Dexter offering up for sale a very nice cherry RSW 15 at a very favorable price. Alert fellow forum members, who knew that GaryMD has been looking for a Cherry RSW 15 for quite some time, made sure he was aware of the sale.

Gary ended up purchasing the sub but didn't want to risk the sub in the hands of the shipping gorillas, so he asked for some help.

Boomac was the first to come to Gary's aide and mentioned that if the sub could make its way to Milwaukee, he would take it the rest of the way to Gary's house. Since I'm not that far from the Minneapolis/St Paul area, and I finally had the opportunity to help Gary out for he has helped me both directly and indirectly numerous times over the years. This was my chance to pay-it-forward.

The first leg of the "Fellowship of the Sub" journey began with a trip to the Twin Cities to pick up the sub from Dexter. Usually a trip to the Twin Cities is drama free but this trip wasn't drama free. Since most of the trip was boring freeway miles, I needed to find something to take my mind off the drive. That something came in the form of the cool, shadow shapes, the lights were creating on the hood of the car. It was quite a show up until the the sudden realization that I shouldn't be seeing that much of the hood on my Ford Taurus. Then it really hit me, I remembered that I popped the hood a week prior to jump start my nephews car. Well, his car didn't need to be jump started and I failed to remember that shut the hood. The only reason why the hood didn't come flying off at 75mph was due to some minor deer damage to the hood a few years back. If Disney could invent a ride that made you feel like I did for those few short seconds, they would have an E-Ticket ride like no other. Rest assured, I was very alert and attentive the rest of the trip.

After arriving at Dexter's house, we quickly retreated to lair where the Big, Black behemoth lives. The Epik Conquest. Dexter has some pictures of this beast in this thread in the "Powered Subwoofer" section.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/97291.aspx

I haven't had the privilege to audition many subs so I can't give you any comparisons, but I can comment on its output.

Dexter played a few scenes from War of The Worlds and this sub moves your hair and jars the body when it kicks in. After the movie demo, we listened to a few music DVD's and surprisingly, this sub actually is very music friendly. Dexter's main speakers are RF-7's, a RC-7, and RS 7's. (Dexter please correct me if I'm wrong on your setup). The system is powered by a Sunfire Amp and a Preamp that the name escapes me at this moment. Dexter also has some RF series speakers on the main floor. So, you can safely say..its a Klipsch driven household. and that of course is a good thing.

Due to the long drive home ahead of me and the"Precious" was begging to go home, we had to cut the audition shorter than I would have liked. You have a excellent set-up Dexter and have fun playing with your new toy!!!

The second leg of the "Fellowship of the Sub" takes us to Milwaukee, the home the Boomacs'. There wasn't too much drama on this leg of the journey, except that a cold snap of 18 below froze up my car and delayed my trip a lot longer than anticipated. Also, there was no need to find ways to make the trip go faster for I was excited to see Scott and Susan again They are two of the greatest people I have ever met and even though I have only met them a couple of times, they make me feel like I'm part of their family. Thank you Scott and Susan

After some snacks and great conversation, Scott auditioned his new toy, a Rega Apollo CD player. Now this is a CD player that I have to put on my wish list. Scott told me how he auditioned several other more expensive CD players and this one was the best, and cheapest of the bunch. This unit is very detailed and has an excellent sound stage. After listening to this little gem, it sure made it hard to listen to my 49.99 Walmart POS. A trip to the Boomac dream basement wouldn't be complete w/o a session of a great music DVD. The DVD on showcase was Tom Petty's, Runnin Down a Dream. There is nothing like watching a great DVD on a 106 inch screen W/Cornwalls . It makes you feel like you are right there at the concert and I had to fight the urge to turn on my cell phone for the encore. Just for the record..There was no "Random Horn Blowing" music played this evening. [;)]

Due to the late start, I had to cut my visit short but not until we had a great supper of BBQ'd Pork/Slaw sandwiches and CC cookies. Scott and Susan weren't going to let me go on an empty stomach.

Though I won't be part of the 3rd leg of "The Fellowship of the Sub", I know the "Precious" is going to a good home and will be used for Good, not Evil by the Wizard Gary.

I would like to thank once again:

Dexter: Thank You for putting your sub up for sale on the Forum as well as opening up your home to me and allowing me to audition your great set-up.

Gary: Thank You for the "Thank You" Vinyl gift. It wasn't expected nor necessary but was much appreciated. I've been enjoying the vinyl all week.

Scott/Susan: Thank You for hospitality and thank you for showing me such a great time. It was greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to the next time we can meet again.

JJ

It’s always a pleasure to have the Double J visit and I only regret that we didn’t have more time. It was our hope to run over to John Malotky’s for some karaoke but it just wasn’t in the cards during this abbreviated trip. I’m glad you had a chance to visit your uncle JJ and it's good to hear you made it back to the great white North safely.

I have to mention that the new Rega is an Apollo and not the more expensive Saturn. I listened to both machines and quite frankly I would not wager on which Rega I was listening to at a given moment. With that in mind, the Apollo’s price point was very attractive and there has been no cognizant dissonance associated with the purchase.

Anyway, it was quite decent of you to bring that sub down here and it was good to see you once again.

Oh yeah! I often get back to the East Coast to visit friends and relatives and next time I do, “big mama” will be along.