Tripath adventure

Daddy Dee

Three years ago or so folks were discovering the Teac A-L700P which is a little three channel (actually 4, but only three are utilized) amp based on the Tripath TK2050 chip running at 30 wpc. This was sort of a sleeper for two channel audio since the unit was intended to add the three rear channels to complete a 5.1 system. The front end of the system was a DVD/AM/FM receiver DR-L700 which was stereo as standalone or sorted out the 5.1 signals if used for a full HT. The units are kind of a narrow profile and could be used stacked or side by side on the shelf.

I thought the sound of the A-L700P was excellent and after a while got curious about it's mate, thinking it would make a nice office system. Anyway, I never did find any one in the US that had any of the DR-L700 units for sale. Once found an internet seller who advertised the unit, but it was one of those "we never keep anything in stock sellers" and the unit was not actually available to the seller. Thought this was sort of odd since there were gobs of the add on back channel units floating around. I got mine delivered for $100. There seemed to be no shortage of the DR-L700 receivers in Europe and the UK, but they were pricey and 220 units anyway.

A few weeks ago I thought I'd do another search Teac/Tripath search and found a second unit utilizing the TA2022 Tripath chip at 50wpc in 5.1 or 80wpc in two channel. It's a Teac AG-L800 and is configured as a 5.1 AM/FM receiver. There's no internal DVD in this unit, but I have seen a matching DVD player in a matching cabinet, but didn't find a "matching" DVD player to be attractive. Anyway, the AG-L800 is also a 2002 manufactured unit and there are a few of these refurbed units. I found one for $130.

Haven't used it yet on Klipsch Heritage speakers, but yesterday Tony Reed and I hooked it up to a pair of Tekton Design full range speakers and thought the sound was impressive. Need to get batteries for the remote to check it out, but found the two channel setup easy enough. I'll post more when I get some Heresy's hooked up. Anyone who has listened to tripath amplification would not be surprised. This seems to be another example of this technology put to good use.

The build and heft of the receiver is more somewhat impressive than the A-L700P. The controls have a substantial feel and the receiver is a little brick. The AG-L800 has a little wider dimension and is almost 11" across the front. This is considerably smaller than the standard 17" receiver.

I bought mine on Ebay from some outfit that was really orangechimp.com.

http://www.orangechimp.com/product.aspx?pf_id=AGL800

Here's a pic.

post-11993-13819354311756_thumb.png

Here's what I was searching for originally: The DR-L700 DVD receiver sitting on top of the familiar AL-700P three channel. Never found this receiver available in the US.

Sadly Tripath is going through bankruptcy and the last I heard it wasn't clear if Tripath would be reorganized or would just go dark.

post-11993-13819354312116_thumb.jpg

One unit you might see if browsing searching for Teac/Tripath gear is a Teac CD/AM/FM CR-H220 receiver. It's looks to be close kin to the 700 800 line of receivers. Bummer, though, it's amplification is class AB not tripath. They can be had for next to nothing refurbed as stand alone or with mini Teac speakers, which are pretty much worthless, but thrown in for $10. On cool looks for an office system I had a hard time resisting but I did.

Thanks to DJK who read a schematic for me on yet another Teac receiver, to determine if it used Tripath. It also used the class AB amp.

For anyone who might have an interest in the NON-Tripath CD receiver here's a link to a review by Seth on Audioholics.com. I've seen this go on Ebay for under $75.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33172

I too own a Teac A-L700P. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years and bought it new off of Amazon. I am very pleased with the sound. It is used with a McIntoch MX130 Preamp and a MC-2505 for the rear speakers. All five speakers are Cornwalls.

All of that said. I've been looking, with little success, for better built and higher power Tripath technology amplifers. Any suggestions??

Mike

I've been looking, with little success, for better built and higher power Tripath technology amplifers. Any suggestions??

Does it specifically need to be Tripath?

I find that the Hypex amps are a much better implementation of the switching topology. They are less noisy, tighter bass, and the highs are a lot smoother...
http://www.hypex.nl

Rotel has a bunch of great sounding amps too:
http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/index.htm?cat=112