Onkyo TX-SR805

vp4lifehva

I am pretty much a newbie and just completed my 5.1 setup (an upgrade from old Kenwood HTIB system). I have the Synergy F-3's, C-3, S-3's, and SUB-12. I am currently using that Kenwood receiver (600 watts, no hdmi, etc.) that came with the HTIB package.

I figured that since I spent all that money on the new speakers, might as well fork over some more cash for a good receiver. They have a good deal on the Onkyo TX-SR805 over at the Vanns website. My budget is $500-$700. I have everything hooked up to a Samsung HL-T6187S DLP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great holiday!

that onkyo is good, but have you looked at denon 1508/1708/1908 ?

1508 falls at 349, the 1708 is at 499, and 1908 is still inside your budget near the 599-649 range.......

i myself am saving up for the 1508 denon.....bestbuy has it in their magnolia section, 75watts per channel, 7.1 i believe....has great features, and everything im looking for in a receiver.....

the 1708 and 1908 are better, but for my budget and $-4-$ ill roll the 1508......

i hope these threads from cnet help...

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-1708/4505-6466_7-32553615.html?tag=prod.txt.1

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-1908/4505-6466_7-32553614.html?tag=also

my uncle just got the silver at am azon last week for$643it has gone up to 712 for the silver but keep an eye out if you can play the waiting game as the price changes daily.i own one that i bought in oct for what i thought was a steal at $801.i have nevr owned a denon so I cant compare but i LOVE the 805 for msrp at $1100.good luck,Brian

Thanks guys for all your help. From doing some more research, the general consensus is that Denon and Yamaha are the best brands to buy but I really like the price on that Onnyo and the onboard TrueHD and DTS-HD for an HD-DVD player that I will soon pick up.

Last few questions, how important is the watts outputting from each speaker? I looked at the Denon from the 2nd poster above and it only has 75 watts/speaker compared to the 120 watts on the Onkyo.

Finally, my TV is native 1080p. I use my Xbox 360 for DVDs with a VGA cable which gives a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (which is 1080p I think). How important is the HDMI scaling/upconversion on these receivers?

Thanks!

I'm a fan of Denon, but it seems right now Onkyo is spanking everyone's hiney with regards to having the latest technologies in very reasonably priced AVRs. In addition to the 805, you might consider the lower-priced TX-SR605. It's also got TrueHD and DTS-HD processing over HDMI, but only 2 HDMI inputs. For me, I won't buy an AVR with fewer than 4 HDMI inputs (I would consume 3 right away - PS3, Toshiba HD-DVD, and my PC).

I would highly consider a Yamaha receiver. I got a rx-v659 for use with my RF-5 setup and I am extremely impressed. The sound is amazing and it certainly has the power to handle a ranger of speakers (it's rated at 100wpc but it puts out 120wpc x2 at <1%thd with no clipping). Heres a review of it and at $399 you'll actually be able to step up to a higher model. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v659

• 2 months later...

I think there are a few issues with the 805 downconverting 1080i to 720p or whatever...but i'm just being too picky for someone who knows crap about receivers.

The only time the 805 downconverts to 720 p is if you have a component input to the receiver and an HDMI output to your TV. If it's component in/component out or HDMI in/HDMI out then there will be no downconverting.

Everything sounds great, clean and clear. My neighbors are gonna hate me in the summer. I watched the chase scene with the crane in Terminator 3 a couple times....WOW!!! Well worth the $650 I paid for it. I am waiting for some of the higher end HD DVD players to go down in price a little more to test out the bitstream output feature (I can't wait!!!).

So far, I am only using this receiver for audio. Haven't tested out the video upconversion yet.