Unpowered Sub DIY XOVER

seti

When I purchased a couple of Belle's there was a nice walnut isobaric sub thrown in which was designed by someone at Cary Audio. I bought a Triad subwoofer amp / crossover but this doesn't have much power. One woofer in phase and the other is out of phase. I was wondering if it would be feasable to build my own xover that gentle cuts off from maybe 40-50hz and use a nad solid state amp. Does anyone know of a good resource to find xover plans for this purpose? The sub would first pull duty with khorns and maybe later in a ht.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Have you verified that the drivers are hooked up correctly? How much power is the Triad amp rated for? And do you already own the Nad amp that you're thinking of using? And what makes you think you don't have enough power? (like do you know that the amp is clipping, or could it be something else?)

Have you verified that the drivers are hooked up correctly? How much power is the Triad amp rated for? And do you already own the Nad amp that you're thinking of using? And what makes you think you don't have enough power? (like do you know that the amp is clipping, or could it be something else?)

This is the old setup.

SETISUB%20.jpg

The two speaker wires are connected to the only speaker terminals on the Triad. The drivers are 2 x 12inch peerless but don't remember which ones. Perhaps I'll take the bottom off and see if anything is stamped on them. I am unsure about the Triad Bronze crossover/amp. It may be 250watt if into 4 ohms but I am not positive. I have requested documentation from Triad. The last time I used the sub they were hooked up correctly. I was wanting to go with NAD because I like their solid state gear for low bass no other reason. I was also worried about under powering the sub. The DIY crossover was going to be for educational purposes for me. One of my friends has been begging me to get the sub working again as he really liked it with the Belles and wants to hear it with the khorns. Low bass you can feel is one of his favorites. I dial it down and he dials it up LOL... It is nice when you get the balance right.

Well I guess recommending an XTi is outta the question then...

Keep in mind that if you double the power of your amp, let's say to 500W, you only increase the power output of the system by 3dB....assuming of course the drivers can handle the extra power. Moving up to 1000W is only a 6dB increase from what you already have. The reason I was asking about your system clipping or not is because I think you're experiencing an issue with the gain structure...

Rod Elliot has a lot of interesting DIY circuits you mike look into:
http://sound.westhost.com/projects-3.htm

Btw, I have a feeling you've got the XLS 12" drivers in your cabinet (they're the only good woofers from peerless for subwoofer duty):
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-608

Well I guess recommending an XTi is outta the question then...

Keep in mind that if you double the power of your amp, let's say to 500W, you only increase the power output of the system by 3dB....assuming of course the drivers can handle the extra power. Moving up to 1000W is only a 6dB increase from what you already have. The reason I was asking about your system clipping or not is because I think you're experiencing an issue with the gain structure...

Rod Elliot has a lot of interesting DIY circuits you mike look into:
http://sound.westhost.com/projects-3.htm

Btw, I have a feeling you've got the XLS 12" drivers in your cabinet (they're the only good woofers from peerless for subwoofer duty):
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-608

Actually an XTI is a brilliant idea hmmm. I could still build my own crossover. I gotta start soldering somewhere. Do you think these two drivers have enough power from the Triad? I called Triad and they said they are about 125watt 8ohms. There is only one pos/neg speaker terminals so I have one in phase and one out of phase into each terminal. I wasn't sure if it would work properly when I first did it but it seemed ok. Pardon the duh question but what do you mean by gain structure?

Thanks for the links. I have been looking at the XLS drivers and that is probably what they are but I will crack it open tonight to know for sure.

IMG_0040.jpg

I don't know if they are peerless or not because there is a tag that reads PW1258-US G6 8 OHM. The tag number pulls up a Pyramid driver that has specs that are contrary to performance or I am missind something. It says Frequency response of 40 - 300,hz but I know it went much much lower than that.

* Power handling: 300 watts RMS/600 watts peak
* Voice coil diameter: 2"
* Impedance: 8 ohms
* Frequency response: 40-3,000 Hz
* Magnet weight: 50 oz.
* Fs: 26.29 Hz
* SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m
* Vas: 7.54 cu. ft.
* Qms: 9.94
* Qes: .36
* Qts: .35
* Xmax: 4.6mm
* Net weight: 9-1/8 lbs.
* Manufacturer model number: PW1258-US
* Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 12-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 11", Mounting Depth: 5-1/4", Magnet Diameter: 5-1/4", Magnet Height: 1-3/4".