Sound characteristics of amps and pre pros

STUDIO 2000

I would like to know is it the amp or the pre/pro that really determines the sound characteristics as "natural" vs "warm" etc.

I just recently purchased an Emotiva IPS-1 Amplifier for my Rf-7. I also purchased the Emotiva LMC-1 which is a pre/pro. It does sound incredible, but I feel I am missing that fulness or warmth. Would it be more likely the amp or the pre-pro that determines this? For instance I have heard on this forum that Harman Kardon receiver is considered warm and mate well with Rf-7. But what is it that creates that warmth the amp or the pre/pro portion? I heard going seperates was the way to go and did, but I am not blown away by the result. I am planning on getting the new MMC2 pre/pro from Emotiva later this year, thats why I purchased the LMC-1 pre/pro as you will get the 40% discount. I have no hiss or any other noise/buzz issues with this combo and Rf-7.

I appreciate your input.

Dave

I have found that most of a systems tonality is related to the synergy of components....for instance, the interaction between the speaker and the room, or the interaction between the speaker and the amplifier...not necessarily the devices themselves. I don't mean to downplay the sonic differences between devices - just stressing that the synergy plays a large role.

A good pre/pro (defined as one that doesn't intentionally color the sound) should have no problem working with most amplifiers - especially if you're working within the same company. The RF-7's, however, are a very difficult load to drive and it seems a lot of amps have difficulties with them. The little bit of research I did on the IPS-1 wouldn't make me surprised to learn that it doesn't work well with the RF-7's. Of course, you wouldn't want to hear that [;)]

Some people feel Dean's crossover mod to the RF-7's makes them less harsh sounding. I might also consider the room's acoustics and other basic things like toe-in, speaker and listener position, source material, etc etc... The pre/pro is not one of the first places I'd look unless you're looking for a flavor of sound to be added to everything.

Dr. Who,

Since writing the above post I have experimented with speaker placement toe-in and I also set up more sound treatment and I am satisfied with the overall result, but dont know if the Rf-7s could sound better.

I still have a trial period on the IPS-1 (actually my last day to test is tomorrow), so, by al means share what you have learned about the IPS-1 and the RF-7 why it doesnt work well. Please educate me. I really would appreciate that input. Its not too late to send it back.

This is a 7 channel amp and all I really need for now is a 5 channel amp.

Also, I spent $899 for the amp and $379 for the LMC-1 pre pro. Is there another amp or pre/pro combo that you could recommend? I don mind buying used.

Thanks

Dave

When I bought 7's I was using a H/K 7200, their flagship receiver at the time. The sound was very nice, btw the 7's had Dean's networks in them. I added Outlaw separates, 990/7500, & those spks really opened up nicely. Certainly an improvement but it took awhile to make the adjustment. The Outlaw wasn't as warm/laid back but I believe produced a more live/natural sound. Doc's right about rooms & mine is kinda tough with wood floor on slab, sloping catherdral ceiling to 14ft & leather furniture. I've since replaced the 7's with heritage prefering that sound.

Thanks Arky and Dr. Who,

The specs for the IPS-1 amp is here:

http://www.emotiva.com/ips1.html

Here is pictures of the inside of the IPS-1:

http://www.emotiva.com/expandedpages/ips1expanded.html

This amp does sound good and very natural detailed etc. and I am surprised as I am not hearing any noise his or hum etc. with the pre/pro and amp combo, but I would like that "full sound" especially when I listen to DVD with good movie Soundtracks and full orchestra. With this amp I can still hear all the detail and grittiness of let say for example a cello hitting the bow and the resin etc - the oomph is there and natural sound, but I feel tha my Rf-7's dont open up unless I pump up that volume then it sounds better, but too loud.

My initial thinking was to get two crown xti amps , but then I would only have 4 channels and I have 5.1 surround. I wish they made an amp that was decent price like crowns with a 3 channel amp, then I could have gotten a 2 channel and a 3 channel for 5 channels.

Oh all the choices - My time for reviewing this amp is ending tomorrow so I am in this frenzie with deciding to keep it or not. I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks

Dave

There's no need to go with the XTi unless you plan on biamping your RF-7's, but then you'd need one amp for each speaker (channel 1 drives the highs and channel 2 drives the lows). This would definitely yield some significant improvements, but would require a means to know what settings to put into the DSP section...KIipsch networks aren't just straight up crossovers, they're balancing networks so you would need to employ the same EQ that is present in the passive network. Or you could go a step further and employ even better EQ, but that would require some measurement capability.