Looking for a preamp that can handle XLR outputs/Crown XTi2000

jacksonbart

Something completely different--
Not termed a 'pre-amp' but....it is--and it would make a superb home pre.

If you are into maximal SQ and have moderately deep pockets....hard to beat.
By Chris Muth (respected designer of high-end custom pro gear)--used in many mastering studios (Sterling), etc....
Will take a digi signal too (built in Troisi).
http://www.dangerousmusic.com/monitor.html

Another maker (nice remote vol.):
http://www.cranesong.com/AVOCET.html

OTOH--
If remote/multi channel is essential:
http://www.dangerousmusic.com/stsr.html

Mark

This topic keeps coming up and going round and round with the same old ideas.

Here is a paper from Bill Whitlock that effectively ends the debate.

It would be rather simple to modify the equipment per Section 2.4. And then cables are a simple matter.

Mas

I like that document.....DrWho should read it....the document clearly shows that the RCA to XLR conversion cable is intended to be used on RCA outputs to XLR inputs.

For XLR to RCA conversions....the document clearly shows the use of a transformer.....no where does the document show to short pins 2 and 3 together if used on an XLR output to an RCA input.

This is why understanding the architecture is important.

For those who are using a conversion cable to go from XLR out to RCA in.....your best bet would be to get a black box solution.

This topic keeps coming up and going round and round with the same old ideas.

Here is a paper from Bill Whitlock that effectively ends the debate.

It would be rather simple to modify the equipment per Section 2.4. And then cables are a simple matter.

Mas

I like that document.....DrWho should read it....the document clearly shows that the RCA to XLR conversion cable is intended to be used on RCA outputs to XLR inputs.

For XLR to RCA conversions....the document clearly shows the use of a transformer.....no where does the document show to short pins 2 and 3 together if used on an XLR output to an RCA input.

This is why understanding the architecture is important.

BTW, what is not mentioned, and which is crucial to the paper, is the proper solution to the infamous "Pin 1 debate" that has existed for the past 20 years and to which Bill Whitlock assumes is properly being followed!

And this is a topic sure to confuse everyone who is just beginning to be exposed to balanced gear. (Its not really that complex. But getting manufacturers to follow a single consistent standard is like herding cats...hence the massive confusion in the audio industry!)

If anyone is interested in these papers addressing the "Pin !" controversy, PM me.

"Mas I like that document.....DrWho should read it....the document clearly shows that the RCA to XLR conversion cable is intended to be used on RCA outputs to XLR inputs."

Which is exactly what you're doing when you go from a CD player to a pro amp!

Also, he said he wants to use multiple sources and needs source selection, IOW's -- a preamp.

mas, you have a PM.

"Mas I like that document.....DrWho should read it....the document clearly shows that the RCA to XLR conversion cable is intended to be used on RCA outputs to XLR inputs."

Which is exactly what you're doing when you go from a CD player to a pro amp!

Imagine that! lololol

Take a look at the B&K PT5. I think it has everything you're looking for - plus it has a nice built in tuner.

Retail is ~$700, but can be had on ebay or Audiogon in the $2-300 range. B&K stuff is bullet proof, so I'd have no qualms about buying used.

I've got two of the PT3 S-IIs (non-XLR) versions, love 'em.

James