Harman Kardon AVR 7200 and Cornwalls

MikeGinIllinois

I swear the AVR 7200 and Cornwalls are a marriage made in heaven. I bought my HK AVR 7200 used on Ebay. Well, it has a power problem. It turns on, stays on for 15 minutes, goes off, and then I have to click it on/off on/off on/off until it stays on again, hopefully. I've sent it to REX Service in Worth, Illinois, they sent it back 'fixed' and the problem continues. They "ADJUSTED OFFSET AND REBIAS ALL CHANNELS", whatever that means. I have a 90 day warranty from REX on the repair so back it goes again.

Tonight I went to a Barretts' Home Theater shop by me and bought a Rotel RSX-1067 for $2,000 thinking that I could solve this problem by throwing money at it. I hooked up the Rotel and it was, well, awful. With these Cornwalls the Rotel says goodbye to the consistent bass that the HK gives, the mids are there, and the highs are ear-shattering. Like my buddy said, "It's tinny". After 20 minutes we both had ear fatigue. Next Saturday the Rotel is going back for a refund.

If I can't get this AVR 7200 fixed I'm going to sell it on Ebay 'as-is'. I paid $500.00 for it so if I can get $250.00 that will be fine.

You guys who have Cornwalls and HK's know what I'm talking about. There's such a sweet full sound when you put an HK AVR 7200 with the Cornwalls.

My question is this. If I can't get my HK working and can't find another one what amp would give the same type of wonderful rich full spectrum sound that I enjoy now with the AVR 7200(when my amp works)? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Is there perhaps an HK person out here who could suggest why my existing AVR 7200 has the power problems I describe?

Thanks to anyone and everyone!

Mike Gallery

I have a Crown comparable QSC that I don't plan to replace any time soon but I don't think that's the sound he's after here. I have a 7200 driving a smaller system with heresy's & it is more of a laid back/warm sound. That 7200 is very clean.

This might be close. link

Mike, I also agree with Srobak.............You can get some great Deals at the HK website. Here is a link to the AVR 745 for 998.00

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR%20745-Z&status=

In Addition You might also check out NAD 773 Model. NAD have a very warm, laid back sound............Just an Idea. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info, everybody! The Craigslist listing just expired but I'll keep an eye out for that. Those of you with 7200's know what I'm talking about. I've heard that the HK 7200 and the Cornwalls are a very very good match and I can see it for myself. At loud volumes the 7200 pushes out the full spectrum and the Cornwalls happily deliver. REX Service did not find the problem on go-round #1. This is not encouraging. I will sure think about a HK 7XX model. I'm not sure that a 7XX will push out the power like the 7200 does. HK has apparently abandoned the manufacture of higher ended amps in favor of the lower cost models which is too bad, for sure.

I've got an older $800 Yamaha that works fine with my setup but it doesn't deliver the depth of warm sound like the 7200. The fellow who said the 7200 delivers a "clean" sound is right on target. It's a shame that we have to search through Ebay and Craig's list listings to find an older product that works better than the new $2,000 amps. >-:

I would like to smack the guy on Ebay who sold me this. He did give me $150.00 for repair costs after I paid him $500.00 for the amp so he was honest about the whole thing. Based on what I'm seeing and hearing I think I have two choices. First, I get this existing amp fixed, which would be ideal. I'm going to call HK support. They do not offer factory repair >-: which is too bad. REX has already promised me that they'd waive return shipping costs on their second repair attempt. Or, I can try and find a good used one.

Thank you for discussing this with me!

Mike Gallery