La Scalas out in the room for deeper soundstage?

Islander

Like most La Scala owners, I've placed mine not very far from the front wall. They are a bit bulky, after all. Has anyone tried placing them well out into the room, say 3 feet or more from the front wall? I was just reading that this could produce a much deeper soundstage.

Yup bringing them out in the room will indeed deepen the sound stage. Problem is the bass will disappear and then you have a set of ear bleeders. A sub can help but it better be a darn good one. I haven't heard a sub yet that I thought kept up with the Lascala mid bass seamlessly. Nothing worse then hearing a subwoofer IMHO.

Craig

have you tried corner placement along a long wall toe'd in yet?

I've got them along a long wall, toed in directly to the listening position. Since there's no side wall beside the right speaker (the living room opens to a corridor and the dining room), I placed the left speaker 3 feet from its side wall (and window). Beside the left speaker is also a drape (actually a pulled-back 10'x20' photo studio backdrop, partly bundled-up on the floor), which should be at least a little absorbent of sound.

The speakers are 12 feet apart (center-to-center) and 13 feet from the listening position. The level from each speaker is within half a dB at the listening position.

The left-to-right and, to a lesser degree up-and-down, soundstage seems quite good. It has some depth, but I'm not sure just how deep it could be with ideal speaker positioning. It seems as if there might be more lost in the trade-off in terms of bass response, though.

Here is the room layout. There's a La Scala to each side, a pair of Heresy IIs at the back of the room and one (unseen) below the TV. Beside the left Scala is the sub and next to it is the electronics on their stand. The room is actually 18'x19'. The 30' width includes the dining room, in order to show where the living room opens out to.

post-23736-13819354842232_thumb.jpg