Timbre matching...

slammy77

So I've got the RB-51 bookshelf system. It's fine for movies, but when I'm listening to music in stereo, only the RB-51s and subwoofer are in use. The center channel and surrounds aren't utilized.

The RB-51s don't seem like they're enough alone and modes on the receiver that use all the speakers just don't sound right.

I'm wondering whether or not I could upgrade my fronts to the RB-61s and keep the RC-52 center. Would that mess up my timbre matching? I am very iffy about upgrading to a bigger, heavier center channel because it sits on a bridge over my TV, and I'm concerned about the weight sinking the bridge in over time.

• Moderators

You could try the Pro Logic ll for music, many of the others will change the sound alot.

Sounds like you may need to go thru the menu and change some settings, also on the DVD player.

Are all the speakers matched so the volume is even all around like with a db meter ? I would think your timbre match is good if they are all in the rb, rc, rs series. There is also on some receivers what they call center width, it lets you adjust how the center channel signal is sent across the 3 front speakers, making the front seem wider and including a little of the voices to the front left and right speakers. The center width can help make the front 3 blend in a little more, but it does sound funny if you make it to wide, try it out.