Advise On Rear Speakers Hanging From Ceiling

Hello

I have a 5:1 setup at the moment where the rear speakers are on the sides of the walls. I want to get to a 7:1 but my problem is this, I have no rear wall for my family room connects right into the kitchen.

Im wondering if it is possible to mount speakers from the ceiling? Will this sound good and if so what speakers would anyone recommmend for me to look into? I currently have the reference series for a setup with a 12"sub. Thanks in advance.

I recently did this, except I went to 6.1. I to have the reference series. My guess is you could double this solutions. I choose a RC-3II for the rear center. I built a box that has an internal space of 12x12x24" to hold the speaker and allow for tilting. Remember, the RC-3 has the rear-prop-screw-spike-thingy (yes, a technical term Smile.gif ) I have recessed lighting, so wiring was hidden in the ceiling. I painted the entire box to match the ceiling (soft white). I used two 2 1/2" lag bolts to screw it into a ceiling stud. I have a 8' ceiling and not to many 7'+ friends, so it was plenty high. The best part is/was: spouse friendly. I had a few limitations to placement, but it is essential dead center with the front center, about 4-6 feet behind the main listening position. I moved my surrounds to the ceiling height to the exact sides of the main position as well. I used smooth pine for the wood, pre-drilled all the finishing nail holes, and placed nails every 6" or so. I didn't want vibration distort.

I'm not saying this is the best solution, but I posed a similar one a few months ago, and this worked best for me. The material cost around $25.00 and labor took about 3 hours with help (my 3 yr old twin sons) so maybe solo, you're looking at 2 hours.

hope this helps

------------------

Current HT Setup:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

M&K V-1250 sub

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

Sony DB STR-935 receiver

This is the best way to do it if you do not have a rear wall. I have ALWAYS said if you could have the same frequency response and size of speakers all around you, that it sounds the best!! ( with the exception being BOSE...yuck... In a perfect world... an RC7 center, left, right, sides, and rears with a matching subwoofer. You get the idea here, it is unpractical. ( Heaven forbid you wanted everything to be K horns..LOL>.)

When it was "just" dolby pro logic, the frequency response didn't matter to the rears... Now with dolby digital II, and thx, dts es, etc etc etc every speaker needs to be able to be full range. My argument is they also need to be the same SPL with say 1 watt too. I think this is the whole idea behind the new reference line by Klipsch. Kudos to the line too.

I have also hung the rears like you are asking...It is incredible to hear things that I can only descibe it as airy, clean, and wonderful when set up properly too.

Try it first, before someone tells you it is not right.