Klipschorn mid bass

cjgeraci

As some of you know, I run a 7.1 Heritage system. Mostly stock Belle center and Forte side surrounds with modded front Klipschorns and rear Belles. Recently, I tried the active crossover thing for my Khorns and liked it and slapped Altec 902s drivers onto my Trachorns - and really loved the two-way thing again.

But, all the Palladium and Jubilee talk lately can make a lowly Klipschorn owner feel inferior (well, not really - but that sounds good, doesn't it?) Since I just added a 50 inch HD plasma to complete my 7.1 Heritage system, I did not exactly have six to fifteen thousand dollars to make me feel better.........

So, what's a boy at heart to do??

Consult my partner in crime Sheltie Dave, who is truly the master of gear and speaker acquisition. Turns out that he was saving one of his latest JBL finds for me to play with. Credit for my latest foolish experiment should go to John Warren, who has tweaked his Khorn mid-bass mod to the max (and uses 10 inch woofers). Check out John's website and be impressed.

Enter a pair of JBL pro Cabaret 4612 OKs, which were a ported pro studio monitor, using two 2118 woofers (8 inch, 16 ohm, 97 db) along with a 2404 tweeter, with the thick dias to go down to about 2 grand.

For the moment, I have kept the JBL 4612 cabinets intact with the 2118 drivers (removing the 2404 tweeters and playing with them in the rear Belles). I am cutting the Khorn bass bin at 250 or 320 hz, depending on experimentation, and playing around with the transition point from the 8 inch mid-bass drivers to the Trachorn/902s from 1000 to 2000 hz (again experimenting).

The speakers are back to three ways and for now, a Bryston big boy is driving the Khorn bass bin, a QSC PLX is driving the JBL mid-bass, and a Sonic Impact Super T is on the Altec 902s. The rear Belles continue to enjoy the NOSValves VRDs, and these four speakers can really bring it in unison!!

I won't say too much for now until I really get them dialed in, including tackling time alignment issues, but let me just say that they are much more "visceral" now.

Impact.

Sure, they look extremely strange for now, but I can always build a different shaped mid-bass enclosure later, with similar dimensions. Or heck, maybe I'll even think about ten inchers later. I guess that they are pug ugly, but they sound damned good so far......

As always, thanks, Dave. Oh, and to the wise master Yoda Maron for the quest and another fun project..........

Carl.

Sounds interesting Carl...are you taking any measurements along the way too?

Mike, not yet. Once the kitchen remodeling is done in the next couple of weeks, I'll have time to play around with the Behringer Ultracurve Pro and take some measurements. We should get some interesting results.

Carl.

Whew, I've decided on 1000 hz as the crossover point for the midbass/horn for awhile. Pretty nice transition and coupling the twin 8 inch woofers directly to the QSC amp yields considerable benefits. I've moved the bass bin to 320 hz.

This is really good. Heh, heh, heh......................[*-)]

Carl.

A very well documented blind spot in the Khorn.....the 350hz area. Electro-voice used a midbass horn at 300hz in 4 way mode. Your approach will work just fine.

Yes, they do.

Still sounding sweet as ever. Much punchier in the mid-bass region than before. Kicking myself for not doing this earlier.

I purchased 3/4 inch MDF and enough misc. items to make lower profile cabinets (but retaining the same internal volume). Stay tuned.

Carl.