Help on Serial Number identification - La Scala

I am about to buy a second hand pair of La Scala. As I know that over the years the La Scala have changed components - sometimes with significant changes in sound and performance - I would like to get some help in identifying the following serial number: 28W340.

Another info I have is that the mid driver is marked as: K-55_V.

Can anyone help me? Which kind of drivers am I buying? Year of manufacturing? Is it worthwhile, or should I better wait for another (and maybe better) deal?

I appreciate any support you can give me.

Federico

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. The "W" in the serial number would indicate made in 1981. If those Lascalas have the K-55V with the solder terminals instead of the push-pin terminals, that would be the most desirable drivers for the midrange.

Bob Crites

The W indicates that the speakers were built in 1981. As for whether they're a good deal, that would depend on the price and the condition. The K-55V driver has an Alnico magnet and is preferred over the later K-55M by some, while others prefer the M model. Both sound good.

The 1981 model will likely have an AA crossover, which is also popular, unlike the short-lived AL unit, which was used for only a year or two in the early 1980s.