High-pass Filter for Main Speakers

boom3

This may be rather elementary...we are thinking of upgrading our HT receiver and subwoofer. My 4 mains are CW IIs...the sub helps but I am looking for a receiver that not merely routes the LFE to the sub, but allows the mains to be rolled off below a corresponding point. The CWs, as most know, are fine to about 40 Hz, but drop like a stone past there.

I could do this with a simple RC network if the receiver has pre-out/main in jacks but I think that feature is going away now.

Any advise welcome, TIA!

Might I suggest something rather exotic? If you have the means, the Behringer DCX 2496 can do more than a swiss army knife, including rerouting of bass to an output you configure, delay for each output, eq, level based eq, you name it, it can do a lot.

The particular unit I mentioned has 3 inputs, with 6 outputs, all XLR connectors. ( easy to buy / make adapters for RCA ) You will require more than one unit for 5.1 or more channels.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that this would only be good if you have outboard amplification.

Every reciever I have bought over the last 12 years could do this by default by using the speaker sizing feature or actually defining the cutoff. On the speaker sizing feature, either it allows small med and large or lets you define the size of you woof's. When you select the different options...the LFE and sub xover also re-aligns.

I think I have had 8 recievers priced between 800 and 4000 and they all could do this.

Fritz is right. Nearly all modern AV receivers let you set the speakers to Small or Large. Large sends the full frequency range to them, but Small sends everything below the selected cut-off frequency to the sub only or to the sub and any speakers that are set to Large.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the inputs. I actually answered my own question just as I was logging off to retire for the night. Yamaha has a software app called Receiver Manager that allows one to perform parametric EQ on any of the speaker outputs. This app allows other fine-tuning above and beyond what is available from the on-screen menus. For some reason, maybe it was not out yet, we were not aware of this until last night. We are pretty close to buying the RXV 3800 (we have the 2500) and the same app is available for it to. As the SO pointed out to me, receivers now are more like computers with amplifiers and oh by the way they also have tuners as well.

To use the app, one must connect to the receiver with a null modem cable, something I'm sure we have in our mountain o'stuff but have not thought about in a few years.

Thanks again.