Hiss From Brand New 4.1's

Steel_Rain

Hello,

I recently purchased a set of Promedia 4.1's. After about two days of listening to them, they have developed a "hiss" noise that will not go away, even after I unplug them from the computers sound card, and with the switch on the control pod set to standby (red). I also have distortion coming out of the rear channels at low volume, sounds like they are "blown".

I broke the speakers in correctly, and I followed all the directions for installing them. I updated my sound card drivers, and did everything in the troubleshooting guide with no result. The "Hiss" remains. I contacted Amy, and I'll be sending the entire system back for replacement. I just was curious as to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Thanks for any help, and/or idea's before I send them back.

Justin

------------------

Happiness isnt around the corner, happiness IS the corner -BMW

That is too bad...

Did you try other computers or say a sony walkman or other portable cd player to make sure that it was not your computer. placement of internal components can cause these problems, sound cards too close to video cards or modems etc.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Justin,

Thanks for your reply. The "Hiss" comes from the speakers if they are plugged in the sound card or if they aren't. You can remove the plugs from the soundcard completely, and the sound still is there. So it makes me think it's a hardware issue with the Amp, or with the sats.

Thanks,

Justin

------------------

BB,

I understand what you are saying, but if you really read into those other threads, none of them have my exact problem. Most of those problems disappear when they remove the leads from the soundcard, move the soundcard away from (HI) cards; others just have 1 bad speaker, or a driver conflict.

The problem I'm experiencing is ALWAYS there, even when the standby switch is depressed, and the F/R channel leads are unplugged from the sound card. Doesn't matter what source the incoming signal is from, computer, CD player, portable MP3 player, etc.

Again, I ask if anyone has any incite on THIS specific problem. I've contacted Klipsch and they want me to return the speakers, but I would much rather do a home fix then bother them. I hope my point is a more clear.

Justin

------------------

Since you STILL got the hiss even with a cd player, breaking htem in has nothing to do with hiss just FYI Smile.gif, I would tell you to exchange them at the store you bought them from or if you can't contact Amy and see what you can work out. I bet it is a problem with your control pod which is a relitively easy fix. Just need to get a new one shipped to you after you ship yours back. Amy's info is below Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin,

Thanks for all your help. The more research I'm doing, the more Im finding out. Perhaps I just got stuck with a bad set. I'm giving Klipsch the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully an exchange will fix all my problems.

However, I've noticed over the past two days that some persons on this forum are on they're 2nd or 3rd set, with the same problems. I know most people (like myself) visit this forum only with a problem in mind, but I honestly think there maybe a design flaw in the older systems, and I think I have one sitting on my desktop right now.

As with most things, time will tell...

Indeed

Justin

------------------

Problems with Klipsch ProMedia speakers are very rare. but when they happen they are posted, not often do people post that they have no problems.

and the chances of you getting say 3 broken sets in a row is the same chance that you will get one broken set. I did not realize how the statisitcs worked but in my Psychology Edition 5 book by Dr. David Myers he explains the random statisitics of this sort of thing. Quite an intersting read really Smile.gif

keep me posted! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

Problems with Klipsch ProMedia speakers are very rare. but when they happen they are posted, not often do people post that they have no problems.

I think Justin and amy are one in the same person just by the way they speak about pm speakers.

the chances of you getting say 3 broken sets in a row is the same chance that you will get one broken set.

Justin are you kidding? The odds of getting three defective pm sets is the same as getting one defective pm set? Are you high?

BigBusa...Just going by what a professor of psychology from Michigan Hope University says. You are just as likely to get 3 defective sets as one. He could be wrong but I think he knows a little more abut it than you.

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by gabriel11:

That would explain that rattling sound....

ROFLO!!!

------------------

-justin

I would like to add that I have had this problem with my speakers since I got them in August. I have a lot of Idle channel noise, and I can hear this hiss after inactivity. It is like the idle channel noise is still being sent through the amplifier, and I can always hear it. If you leave it on for long enough, the subwoofer will eventually start at a low signal noise with a 1-2Hz sound. It is annoying, and I do have the master input set really low, so it isnt a conflicting input/soundcard problem.

Just wanted to add my two cents since I have seen this problem as well, and I dont know any way to rememdy it. Other than that, I love the speakers. Just wish I could use RCA jacks into the 4.1 for true surround sound from consoles without a digital converter.

BB - can't help but throw my $0.02 in....

From a pure statistics standpoint you are just as likely to get 3 bad sets in a row as one. AND, yes, you are also just as likely to win the lottery 3 times in a row as you are to win once. Each random draw stands on its own and is not influenced mathmatically by previous draws.

To put this in perspective - say you take a six sided die and roll it 10 times, and by chance you roll a "5" each time. On your eleventh roll you are just as likely to roll a 5 as you are any other number. The odds remain 1 in 6, regardless of the fact that 5 came up the last ten times in a row. Or in reverse - if you roll the die 100 times and never get a 5, your next roll is still just as likely to not be a 5 as it was on your first roll. Its sounds hard to believe but that's the way it is.

So - if Klipch manufactured, say, 10,000 4.1's last year, and 5% were defective, your odds of getting a bad unit are always 1 in 20, no matter how many units you buy (or return), or who you buy them from.

Now - that's assuming, I suppose, that the defects are spread uniformly across the production run so no single distribution source receives a disproportionate number of bad units. (i.e. all 500 bad units are not manufactured in a row and all sent to Best Buy). I suspect the final statistics for any specific person would be governed by production runs and shipping schedules, but from an overall perspective, your odds would always be the same.

Who was that guy in the Asimov "Foundation" series that could predict the future of mankind by applying statistics on a large enough scale?

Isn't math fun?

thank you, i did not want to waste the time to explain that to bigboose... apendix A if you are interested in Dr. David Myers book Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Justin,

I am sure that you are misunderstanding your profesor. Yes each individual purchase will have the same odds. Three bum units in a row would be much less likely. Unless of course I am correct: that all the product is defective through poor design.

It usually takes me three or four edits to fix my spelling. My mother used to tell me; "Big Bean, if your not sure of the spelling use a different word that you are sure of because sometimes the only thing people know about you is what you write and how you spell it."

BB

------------------

eat your vegetables

This message has been edited by Big Bean on 01-21-2002 at 04:53 PM