Calling all tubies......

maxg

I think the sound on my tubes is starting to degrade a little. There is definitely more hiss coming from the speakers these days than there used to be.

The question is whether to simply buy the same tubes as I had before, the Sovtek 6550WE, or to go for a compatible product with better sound.

I cant say that there is anything I dont like about the performance from the tubes I have but I am always interested in evaluating alternatives.

For reference my monoblocks are rated with these tubes at 45 wpc. I posted a picture recently which hopefully will reappear here:

0NAAAAAsSeM9*tH8Hfn2n8zum8XGkSZSKMlCR4W6

Thoughts anyone?

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Bugger - try that picture again:

close-up.jpg

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

The Sovtek 6550 is certainly not a very sweet sounding 6550 which is a bit problematic since the 6550 is perhaps one of the least sweet sounding tubes made. I know of quite a few that have taken their 6550 amps and converted them to EL-34 for a more sweet and lush sound. This is actually a factory mod for the well reviewed (though rather sterile) Conrad Johnson Premier 11a which actually sounded much better as a EL-34 unit.

Seriously, you would do better to find some NOS equivalents for this tube. Can you roll other subs in those units? At the VERY least, I would opt for the Svetlana 6550C over the Sovteks as this tube is at least a more pleasing version of that tube. Also, it appears the Svetlana KT-88 is back going and that is probably a good bet as well and more than likely sounds better than the 6550 (can be sub). Have you tried the KT-88 or KT-90? Go to this link at Neds to see some of the NEW tube options:

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6550kt88kt90.html

I see that the KT-90 is now back going. Also, give a look to the JJ KT-88S as an option, based on Ned's description. I assume your amps are wired for triode operation? This would be the only way I would opt for a 6550 type amp. Did you make them yourself?

For vintage 6550 type tubes, I would take a look at Tube World. http://tubeworld.com/tubes.html#6550

The GE and Tungsol are preferred here. I have heard the GE 6550 and liked it for that type. He seems to prefer the Tungsol the best (I just dont have as much experience with the 6550/KT-88).

Just a few ideas to kick around...and here it's 4:30am...time to stop fighting sleep.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Wow - thanks Mobile - will look into all that. No I didnt make these units myself - I bought them locally (about £900 for 2 monoblocks and a preamp - not a bad price here).

Unfortunately I dont know enough (anything?) about tube amps to answer your other questions. Will try to find out by reading the manual. As it is in Greek it may take me a while to get back to you!!

Thanks again.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Hey Mobile (for when you wake up)

"The GE and Tungsol are preferred here. I have heard the GE 6550 and liked it for that type. He seems to prefer the Tungsol the best (I just dont have as much experience with the 6550/KT-88). "

I checked out the Tungsol - they are a fair bit more expensive - like $350 for a matched quad vs. approx $80 for my Sovteks.

He doesnt mention the Sowteks at all. Where did you get the info on them? How sure are you that they are worth the extra?

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Well, I have not heard the Tungsols but I HAVE heard the Sovteks. The Sovtek, in my opinion, is not one of the betters sounding 6550. And yes, that is a BIG price for the Tungsols! Perhaps, at the very least, you should mayboe opt for GE if you do want to go the NOS route. I personally have almost always found the NOS equivalent to offer a more refined, soulful, and subtle sound vs the modern tubes. But as I said, I dont have a ton of experience with the 6550 type tube. This tube in general, is a more coarse, less lush tube compared to others such as the EL-34. It does offer more power. I just never thought it sounded particularly tube like (tube in the good sense).

Give these a thought:

- Svetlana KT-88 (seem to be liked for new)

- JJ KT-88s

If going 6550

- GE 6550

- Svetlana 6550C

Also, you might CALL Ned or, perhaps better yet, the guy at Tube World for some thoughts (cant remember his name at Tube World). Did notice him preferring (for new) the Svetlana KT-88 over the Svetlana 6550C.

I'll look into it some more and edit this post.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-10-2002 at 11:34 AM

Aristidis - thanks,

Had a quick look and will investigate further. Looks like their pricing is a little high (18,000 GRD Vs $18) for the 6550's but I may pay it for the convenience.

THanks again

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Why not at least opt for the Svetlana KT-88? Read a few good things about it. Try something new!

I personally think tube choice can make really change the performance of an amplifier bringing it to that magic when there is a synergistic match. Mediocre tubes can really bring a decent amplifier down to the road of mediocrity. I think the Sovtek 2A3 is a great tube for the money but most of their other examples are really subpar for high resolution audio gear.

As for NOS, this is where the real magic begins as I have heard no modern tubes equal the subtle elan and harmonic richness of a quality NOS.

And dont forget your input/driver tubes! There have just as much a footprint on the sound and sometimes MORE depending. Poor chinese driver tubes can really wreck an amp's sonics.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-15-2002 at 05:51 AM

maxg,

I cannot but agree with mobile's last post. Input/driver tubes do indeed the character of an amp. By now I have replaced all the stock Chinese tubes in my Cayin amp (including the rectifying amp where out of convenience I opted for a new Sovtek 5U4G - was available locally!) and I can't wait to replace those Chinese 4300B too as they really ruin the sound. Hopefully the 300B I got on ebay will arrive soon so that the real tube magic might come to my listening room.

Good luck with your search for the right tubes...and I wouldn't be too suprised that you might listen less and less to your Accuphase amp once your search has ended Biggrin.gif

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

"and I wouldn't be too suprised that you might listen less and less to your Accuphase amp once your search has ended "

Hi Dubai, nice to see(!) you again.

FWIW - My Accuphase is now almost permanently consigned to running my rear channel. I found that the match of SACD and tubes was intoxicating - maybe it is the absence of the 20Khz limit - I dont know - but the sound is wonderful beyond belief (except for the slight hiss which is not yet noticable from my listening position).

Mobile:

Since my last post I have got confirmation that I can run KT88 tubes. Any recommendations on those??

Thanks in advance (and in arrears for the help received so far).

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

maxg,

yes, it's been some time since we 'talked'.

You really seem to have taken to SACD. I admit that the only time I listened to it I was rather disappointed (but perhaps the Accuphase/Cabasse combo was just no good match). Anyway, it strikes me that despite all the writing in those hifi magazines the consumers are not rushing to embrace this new technology. This doesn't really suprise me as the battle between SACD and DVD-A has not been decided yet.

For myself I am rather glad that I don't really feel tempted at the moment (considering the current state of my bank account), but who knows how things will develop...Biggrin.gif.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63