RF-52 blown tweeter

coolflea216

I've had my RF-52's for about 10 months now and tonight one of the tweeters went out. I upgraded my Onkyo TX-SR604 to the TX-SR805 about a week ago. Do you think this might be the problem, can these speakers handle this receiver? Do you think the store I bought it from will replace the speaker or will it have to be repaired?

I'm so pissed, I finally got my system sounding the way I want it to.

First, the tweeter may not be blown. Wires to the tweeter sometimes shake loose, so check that before you call Klipsch. Second, the room correction feature of your Onkyo may have added too much boost to the high frequencies. Go into the setup to see how much boost the auto setup may have added to that channel. Room correction should reduce frequencies, but not ad much boost to any frequency to reduce clipping.

I run outboard amps to eliminate any chance of clipping and to improve sound quality. Receivers usually have weak amp sections, THX Ultra2 certification not withstanding.

Be advised that any receiver should have all speakers set as small to reduce the load on the amp. Amp's clipping is the main cause of blown tweeters which has been made worse by auto setup systems. Setting speakers as small reduces clipping. Bass frequencies soak up huge amounts of current. Tweeters have the least tolerance to clipping, so they blow first, even though too much bass may be the root of the problem. Best strategy is to let a subwoofer take all the bass below 80 Hz.

Bill

Thanks, I will check the wires, I hope it's something that easy. Unfortunately, the Audyssey set up on the Onkyo's won't let you see the actual level adjustments made, it's just Audyssey on or off. I do have all my speakers set to small and the crossovers set to 80 hz.

Do you think this will be a reoccurring problem? Is this receiver to much for these speakers or should they have no problem handling it? I wasn't even playing it loud when the tweeter went out (though I have earlier this week), the volume was moderate and I was playing a video game on my PS3.

Thanks for the advice, I'm at work now and I will check the wiring when I get home. I also called the store where I bought it and the salesman is supposed to call me back shortly. If he tells me that they will just replace it, I will probably go that route.

One question, if the tweeter did blow, would I be hearing absolutely no sound from it at all, or would I still hear something like crackling or hissing or anything?

A blown tweeter can have either very bad sound or no sound. No sound is common for a blown tweeter.

For a loose wire, be sure to take the tweeter out of the speaker. The tweeter will be heavy, so it will need to be supported as it comes out. Some times the clip holding the input wire barely had a connection under spring loaded clip. Restoring the connection that jarred loose has restoed many tweeters.

Bill

PS: I have a Pioeer that does room correction. It allows manual adjutments for each of 9 bands per speaker. I always cut the boost back on any frequency that runs more than 3 db hot. B