ported Parts express Titanic 15

Greg in Okla

I kmow the box is a little small,but my friend Robert did a unibox simulation ,and it turned out real strongIt has an F3 of 23hz,anFB at 20.Shows 110dB@20hz and 115dB @ 25 hz.It needed a 3in X18 port,so I ran down tothe hardware strore and got a piece of plastic pipe,didnt want to spend any real amount of money getting the pieces at P.E.,till I knew I liked it

Posted Image

i WATCHED "War of the Worlds" on scene 3 with hthe lightning it was bounceing around 112 dB and maxed at 116 dB,Needless to say,I am very happy with how the projest turned out,my Titanic in now quite a beast! lol

If you're hearing no port noise, then it means your music doesn't have frequency content at the tuning frequency.

Also, which amp are you using? A lot of the plate amps have roll offs built into them, which is actually a good thing for controlling cone excursion below the tuning frequency...I believe the Dayton plate amps are essentially a 12dB/octave rolloff right at 20Hz, which is gonna reduce the output at 20Hz like 3-5dB (which would reduce port noise too).

I believe you are right about the 20 hz filter,I thought it was either 18 or 20 hz,couldnt remember.So my lowest frequency is pretty much my F3 @ 23 hz.I know the box size and port tube size isnt optimal,but even so ,this thing puts out some crazy SPL levels now.Like I posted earlier ,with all other amps/speakers shut off .It did 116 dB at my seating position on the lighting scene or "War of thre Worlds" I am using the 1000w Dayton amp.So even at non optimal levels,the Titanic gained a lot by adding the port .