What the .............?

catfish1966

Standing not closer than one foot from speaker I noticed a dull hiss comming from one of my Chorus II's. Checked and amp was off. Unplugged amp and all equipment, hiss still present and determined to be comming from mid horn. Unhooked speaker leads and left them unconnected, with amp and components still unplugged the hiss from mid horn still present. Unplugged everything in room. Removed crossover leads to mid horn and hiss stopped. Removed xover leads from tweeter and connected mid xover leads to tweeter, hiss then present through tweeter, speaker is not connected to amp, amp is not plugged into wall. Other Chorus had/has same hiss and only stopped after removing xover leads to mid. Checked out my Forte II's and they had THE HISS. Have a 'new in box' Chorus II xover and connected the mid leads from this xover to the Chorus mid horn I removed, it hissed. Is the xover cranked up on the mid or what's the deal? Should it be audible??????There are two 2uf poly caps, one 68uf & 6uf electrolytics (that's 68uf not 6.8uf), two coils and a transformer on Chorus xover. There's no way I have five faulty xovers. What's the deal?? Can you hear a hiss from your unplugged Klipsch? I will contact Klipsch but your input would be appreciated?

Thank you, Fish

This message has been edited by catfish1966 on 01-13-2002 at 01:06 PM

The speakers are not connected to any wires. I disconnected speaker leads, unplugged amp, removed horns, xovers. I disconnected everything, TV, lamp, you name it. Last resort I had crossover on table and a mid horn on table and connected horn to mid crossover leads, hiss. Maybe I wasn't clear. The speakers unconnected, make an audible noise through horn (mid or tweeter) when connected to mid xover leads on all five of my xovers. Thanks, Fish

Thanks Thump, you were correct. Got out the AC sniffer and there is an amazing amount of AC busting through my floor and walls (3 story building). Was even picking up reading on top of coffee table. Took driver connected to xover and went outside, no hiss or hum. Guess I have to shield xovers and everything else, get the house rewired,......... or move. Fish

I feel bad because I've not followed up on a similar report from some months ago. A person was hearing noise out of the tweeter of an R unit, as I recall.

The reported noise could occur when the indutors in the cross over, specifically the auto transformer are picking up a strong magnetic field.

I believe you are not imagining things.

Gil

It was my thought that crossover inductors can pick up magnetic fields and the current will drive the speaker.

I made a little test tonight with a Heritage type tweeter and a small coil. See attached.

Putting the test rig in front of a small Trinitron, there is a buzz. None with the Trinitron turned off.

This is a long way from duplicating the reported problem but it is a start.

Gil

They thought he was crazy too, I think? If you doubt try it yourself. I'm sure you could gain access to the components Bob or I'll gladly loan you mine. Chorus crossover connected to mid horn and place in a field (move crossover near or across wall/floor).

I'm not learned in the field, rather a novice of one year and am not afraid to ask questions or for help. Became confused because I thought a capacitor could only pass AC, circuit was open and was baffled why sound emitted. Think I now have a grasp on the situation. Thanks to all who responded sincerely. Catfish