CDP... Audio Aero or Naim?

HPower

Hey Guys,

I am looking at 2 players that are currently listed 2nd hand and am not sure which would be a better match in my system.

The 2 players are a Naim CD5X and AA Prima that would be joining a Jolida 300B (9wpc SET integrated) and a pair of '75 Klipschorns.
I have heard both players, never together and on completely different systems than each other and mine.
I did get to compare a CD5i vs a Rega Apollo, and I preferred the Naim.

I listen to a wide range of music... rock, blues, folk, country, recently getting into jazz, not much "pop radio", and no classical.

I am hoping for a player with good musicality, dynamics, and detail that will lean slightly toward a warmer analog sound
as opposed to a hyper detailed DIGITAL sound.

Does the Naim "sound" work with Klipsch?

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Never read of the AA Prima. Read allot about the Naim.

Sorry no reply posts never heard one.

The above $ 1500 CDP niche has always been an interesting read.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/clt.pl?dgtlplay&1209236336&clout&3&4&

Here is an interesting used one, CEC.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1209407215

I have alwys been impressed by how Alan Songer describes the performance of his BAT CDP.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1208043483

Meridian G06 24 bit I think

And there is Simaudio, Accuphase, Ayre and others.

Tough confusing decision. Hard to audition a CDP outside of ones system.

Good Luck

Keep us posted on you final selection.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I came across a dealer demo CD5X that I pulled the trigger on and will be taking delivery tomorrow.

I am very excited from all that I have read about this player and I am hoping that it will fit well with the JD 300B and Khorns.

Naim isn't commonly associated with Klipsch, but a good player like this should be able to feed a great source to the system.

At least, that is what I am hoping [:)]

I had a CD5 with the separate power supply for about 6 months that a friend let me house-sit while he was in Australia. No question it was better than my Denon DVD-2900 universal player, but it didn't come close to my vinyl rig... therefore, it got played about 5 times during that 6 months. I think it's a pretty good player, but I would like to see how it stacks up with the cheaper Rega Apollo that people have been raving about. Let us know what you think of it.

Mike

Hey Mike,

A few weeks ago I was at a shop that sells Rega, Densen, Naim and spent a hour or 2 comparing the CD5i and the Apollo.

These would be the entry level players from each company at $1800 (CD5i) and $1200 (Apollo).

We listened to both players in 2 different systems, one was an all Naim system and the other was in a tube based system.

In both systems I preferred the Naim player over the Apollo.

It was hard for me to pick out exactly why I liked the CD5i better, but it was definitely more fun to listen to... to my ears.

The Naim seemed to have a little more drive were the Rega seemed a little more laid back.

The main reason I looked past the 5i to the 5X was the X has the option of adding a Flatcap or Hicap PS later down the road, were as

the i has no previsions for an external PS.

I am sure I will be doing a fair bit of listening over the weekend.