Harman Kardon HK430

johnnyb

Hello:

I just recently joined the forum and would like to thank everyone who has weighed in on the HK430. I picked one up on e-bay and am truly amazed with its sound driving a pair of quartets. I had actually read some posts on the Nakamichi stasis receivers about two months ago, and picked up a TA2A from e-bay. I thought it sounded good, but this HK430 really sounds much better.

My issue is this: The HK430 only has one auxiliary input and the tape input (plus a phono, which I won't be using). However, the auxiliary input doesn't seem to be working properly. The right channel cuts out intermittently, and I can't seem to figure out why. I cleaned the RCA inputs, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Everything works great on the tape input. For now, I am using an AV switcher to run a cd player on one switch and satellite radio and/or MP3's on the other switch fed into the tape input. However, I would like to figure out what is happening with the auxiliary input. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? P.S. The fuses are all fine.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the input selector switch? Some Caig Deoxit will probably work wonders. I can't get mine open at the moment, or I would tell you how to get to the switch.

My 430 is driving my Heresy IIs. I have another that my son is using at college, mated to some JBL L46. I think it is a great receiver for the money.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

As a matter of fact, all I had to do was clean the push button switches, specifically the tape monitor button with some contact cleaner and the problem was solved. Cleaned all the pots as well and this thing works great. These really are great little units, and the price on e-bay can't be beat.

Thanks for the advice.