RCA connections

Porsche

Ok, here is the deal. I'm getting a new 32" Sony WEGA TV with Component Video, S-Video and Composite Video input. My Sony DVPS-560D DVD player has Component Video, S-Video and of course, Composite Video output.

I have the Klipsch system (described below in my footer) and an Onkyo 575X(B) receiver (with Digital Coaxial & Optical plug-ins, as well as S-Video inputs).

I researched and found out that (I always thought S-Video was the best you could get! How wrong I was!) that Component Video is superior to S-Video and Composite Video.

Correct me if I'm wrong -

:

I will purchase a 6ft (or so) long Component Video cable (preferably Monster Cable, or some high-grade cable of that calibre) and hook it into my DVD player going to my WEGA TV, right?

:

From there, I will have an Digital Coaxial cable connection (there's an ongoing argument that I've read up on between Digital Optical and Digital Coaxial - the consensus has been to just go with Digital Coaxial) from my DVD player to the Onkyo receiver for my digital audio (for DD 5.1/DTS 5.1 sound), right? Will this also play my regular CDs, in stereo mode, without having to add on Composite Audio RCAs (see below if this does apply)?

:

Will I need to have a high-end set of Composite Audio cables going from my DVD player to the receiver to listen to general stereo sound (or does the Digital connection do this as well?)? This would goto the DVD preset.

:

Now, I will hookup some high-grade Composite Audio cables going from my WEGA TV to my receiver, correct? To listen to the stereo sound that Cable TV gives me? This would goto the VIDEO1 preset.

:

Just hook in the coaxial cable into the coaxial receptacle on the back of the WEGA TV.

So my receiver will not have any VIDEO outputs going into any if its inputs then, correct?

As well, if I wanted to hook up my Sega Dreamcast system, I would simply (there's an add-on for S-Video) plug-in the S-Video connection from the Dreamcast to the WEGA TV, and then take the AUDIO component of the Dreamcast and hook it into the VIDEO2 preset, let's say, on my Onkyo receiver, right?

Thanks!!!

------------------

Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) Receiver

Sony DVPS 560D DVD Player

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

I'm not Mr. Technical, but since I've got a Sony DVP-NC600 DVD player and 27" Wega I'll try to help.

First, you are right that component video is superior to SVHS (480 lines per inch, about 100 lines per inch more than SVHS, if I remember right). Generally you won't notice the difference between the two on a 27" TV or less, but on your 32" you will probably notice the difference more. Plus, component video has capability to output images progressively (480), which is better than interlaced (480i) if you have HDTV capable of displaying the images progressively.

Yes, you'll want to use the component video cable from your DVD to TV for the best quality.

Either the digital or analog outputs on your DVD player will send all audio, DVDs or CD, to your receiver--stereo, DD, DTS, whatever. The important thing is that if you use the digital outs (coaxial or optical), you will bypass the DAC in your DVD player and thus use the DAC in your receiver (for both music and movies). If you use the analog (composite RCA) outs on your DVD player, you will use the DAC in your DVD player. As long as your receiver has a decent DAC that can decode DD and DTS, I would use the digital coaxial out on your DVD player. This should be fine for both movies and music. If your DVD player has a better DAC than your receiver, or if it can decode DTS but your receiver can't, then you should use the analog outs on your DVD player. From my DVD player to my receiver I have analog, digital coaxial, and digital optical hooked up, and my receiver lets me switch between the three. I have to use digital for DTS since only my receiver can decode DTS, but I thought I might use analog and the DVD player's DAC for music. In the last six months I haven't used anything but the digital coaxial output--in my case the DAC in my reciever seems to be much better. I think this would be the same in your case.

Yes, the digital outputs will send all audio to the receiver.

I have a VCR in the mix, but I believe yes you would want to hook the cable to your TV and run composite audio out of your TV and into your receiver.

No, your receiver wouldn't have any VIDEO outputs going into any of its inputs. You could probably run all video through your receiver, but I don't see any reason to do so. In my mind, the fewer connections the better. One note, if your receiver has an on-screen display that you wish to use, you will need to connect a single composite cable from the video out on your receiver to an input on your TV. To use the on-screen display you would activate it on your receiver and change your TV input accordingly.

Yes, hooking up your Sega as you indicated should work fine. If you have the video out from your receiver to your TV for on-screen display, you could also hook the SVHS and audio to an input on your receiver, say the front auxiliary inputs if your receiver is capable. Then you would select this input on your receiver and select the input for the on-screen display on your TV. Receiver would send audio to speakers and video to TV. This is what I do, as I don't leave my Playstation hooked up and find it the easiest connection.

Again, I'm not Mr. Technical and am not familiar with your receiver, so take this for what it's worth. Any other thoughts or corrections would be welcome, as I'm always eager to learn more too.

Eric

Thanks my fellow Klipschians!

Now I can rest easy!

All I need now is my WEGA TV - it's on backorder! I already sold my old 32" Sony Trinitron - it didn't take long to sell!

I should notice a good deal of difference in picture quality between my old Sony and new Sony WEGA - the old Sony didn't have S-Video or Component Video, I was just using Composite, so this new one, with Component Video should be a bit nicer!

Cheers!

------------------

Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) Receiver

Sony DVPS 560D DVD Player

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

On a tube television (such as your 32") you won't notice much different between S-video and Component video, but you should notice difference between Composite and S-video. The superiority of Component video really shows up on RPTVs.

FYI, you can build your own high quality component video cables for MUCH MUCH less than buying the pre-made. Get this cable:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=4177152&St=9772&St2=51230968&St3=61760286&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=3025&DID=7

And get these connectors:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=2532&CATID=39

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=2463&CATID=39

Then all you need is some tools (which are fairly cheap) and some time. Even if you had to buy some tools (wire stripper, solder gun, and solder) it would still cost you almost half as much as buying pre-made cables.