LSI La Scala 'top'/'trapezoid' disassembly?

gearfreak

Planning to disassemble my Industrial La Scala top's (the trapezoid) at least far enough to get to the crossover and see what drivers lurk inside. Mine have the full aluminum trim around the trapezoid. (Have seen others that do not).

I was thinking that the jack plate would be a good starting place, for a peak inside...

If anyone has experience and suggestions on where to begin, or what not to unbolt/unscrew, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

I would say start with the handle .... there is nothing attached to it, as the input cup will have wires connected to it.

Congrats on the find ... mine are natural finish with no trim ... my front motherboard removes easily ... not sure how the aluminum trim ones come apart .... wait ... someone will be along shortly with the correct procedure.

LETS SEE A PHOTO OF THOSE BABIES !!!!!!!

once you get the handle off shine a light in and look for the bolt that holds the horn to bracket. Take the screw off and then take the screws off the front, just the ones around the perimeter and not the ones holding the horn to the board. The front will pull out enough to look around. I've never taken off the trim, but was curious about it myself.

Remove the side handle or jack cup, you'll need this access to take the supporting bracket off the throat of the K400 horn.

Remove the horns by unscrewing the motor board. Then set the entire speaker on it's face, remove the bolt from the horn throat, disconnect the wires, and lift the cabinet off the horn/motor board assembly.

DO NOT take any trim off, that should not be necessary.

post-10755-13819366372942_thumb.jpg

Good advice. Mine are plywood.

...of course, they are designed to be somewhat durable, right?

So I was planning to at least wipe, maybe spray down the 'zoids while the components were removed, to get some of the crud buildup (out of the screw heads and where the trim meets the wood, etc.)

Would that in general be ill-advised for the black textured finish? Maybe there is a preferred method or solvent?

Thanks again colterphoto1. Dissassembly was a breeze with your commentary, and I didn't remove anything unessecary.

I'd note in addition that:

-you need to be carefull lifting the top, to ensure that the K-55 does not bang into the crossover.

- you'll probably need a snubby swivel-head ratchet and box wrench both 7/16"

(at least for this model) %5Cdatapers%5C2008_03_16_klipsch%5Cdisas

I have loosely documented pics of the process, but this interface refuses to let me post them... trying again...

%5Cdatapers%5C2008_03_16_klipsch%5Cdisas

post-29972-13819366607008_thumb.jpg

Agreed, I forgot to mention that. Almost amazing. The insides as well, not any noticable dust... no decaying specs of wood, and not even a fingerprint. nada.

The only oddity were the tweeters... which I only noticed upon reviewing the photos. Could be normal patina of the paint revealling tool marks or something from the metalworking process... but looking at the pics, I'd swear the gold housings were scratched. Maybe they all look like this @ 25+ (?) years.

I'll definately take a closer look when I open them back up. As I think I am interested in a pair of ALK networks and Bob's tweeters.

Will try to wrangle a high res pic in here... the trick seems to be
to use the 'options' tab of the post applet that is presented, to
include as a file attachment. All other options fail to deliver in IE and
FireFox.

post-29972-13819366608598_thumb.jpg

Note the very nice condition of the AA networks. This shows the difference between them being in a sealed cabinet versus being exposed to air and temp changes like in the standard version.

Not a spec of dust and bright shiny caps. 

Heres a re-post of my spotless insides:

Posted Image

Very nice. Interesting to see the differences inside and out, on that particular model/cab

Not to get too OT, but noting differences for posterity, and as there seems to be a derth of info on the LSI. (lost serial numbers etc). :

- solder tab K-55_ vs push pin K-55_

- no paint inside and horn bracket/BT black texture pain inside and flat on horn bracket

-all black handle, black info plate on jack plate / black-silver handle, silver info plate

-different graphics on AA networks labels

What's interesting is that they still have the inspected/tested by paper labels. I'd be curious to see if the could be dated based on the names signed on them. (e.g. if tech X left the company in 19xx).

That's probably getting a little too in depth of course.

Colterphoto1 - do you keep yours all stock?

(...and what's the sign in the avatar saying?)

post-29972-13819366618292_thumb.jpg