Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon: Your Preferance?

not sure what your price range is here, but from what i've listened to, i'd go with HK without a doubt. it isn't about what chipset and who makes it, it's really how it sounds with your gear. if you are talking primarily ht use, then anything mentioned above would do the trick. i guess it just depends on how you are going to use it the most. good luck.

as much as i like onkyo and yamaha, I went with the denon 3808.. you can get them for $1200 and the unit is fantastic.. far exceeding my expectations. denon has been the king of recievers since the 70s... i admit that i have little experience with onkyo, but i find that denons sound quality is a bit above that of yamaha. not to mention that the 3808 is one of the most feature packed recievers on the market today, I stream FLAC files over my home network into it for 2-channel listening, and it sounds fantastic. i have also heard that onkyos firmware upgrades are few and far between, while the denon is completely automated over the net, and they come out with updates almost on a weekly basis.

I agree with NatGun.

Go with Denon - you won't be disappointed. Awesome sound quality, less bugs than the others, and great video features. If I wasn't using the 5308, I would have the 4308 or the 3808. Denon makes a fantastic AVR. They also allow you to upgrade your unit from a click of the remote - which has been extremely useful for us Denon users. I spent a lot of time testing the various units - you will be happy with Denon.

Well, as I continue to read and learn, I may have recalled something I forgot I knew, back before I forgot about it.

In my Sony 52W3000, won't the video chip inside it do whatever upsampling is required/possible? Or is the chip ahead of it in the signal path going to be in charge? And if so, wouldn't the pass through ability allow the Sony to take charge anyway? If the Sony chip is as good or better than the chip in the receivers, then all the video discussion is moot. In which case I'd probably go with the Denon, but still looking at other options. And where do I find out what chip is inside the Sony? There is a $#*&load of really good receivers in the $1500 range and I don't wanna make a poor decision. From what I understand, right now my Sony is upsampling SD as good as possible, but when it tries to blow it up to 52" it still looks grainey, is that correct? I've played with the picture and picture mode, which lets you change size of each picture, and if you drop it down a bit the image gets a lot better. I have set it up with the Avia disc, but only the basic settings so far, not the advanced, maybe someone can comment on if that will make any difference? I'm getting the feeling that if I would have bought a smaller TV my receiver buying decisions would have been easier.

*Edit* FYI, I am running an Oppo for CD/DVD source.

wow, you are talking the 12-1500 range for a receiver. have you given any thought to a prepro/amp combo? although most in that price range will not offer a lot of the frills and fuzzy lace that the denon and such will offer, but will sound far superior...

I agree there could be a little better sound found at that price point than a receiver, but to my ears it gets harder to find that last "x" percent once you start getting up into this range, and the benefits of the video control, 2nd zone, and other frills and lace are worth the trade, to me.

Of course, this may all be a moot point, I may be buying a pair of 1968 Khorns instead of a new receiver. See the Classified section for details.

I started with a Yammie RXV850. The Denons of the time didn't have direct access to each input on the front panel and had this 'clunk' every time you changed something.

From then moved to RXV2400 for Dolby Digital, then RXV2600 for HDMI switching (and better YPAO parametric eq and onscreen displays).

Somewhere along the line I got a RX stereo receiver for my bedroom system. Variable loudness and sleep timer make it nice for that application.

One complaint is that the menu system doesn't translate to OSD in HDMI, a real nuisance. This shouldn't be allowed.

I'll go separates next time. Can't see spending over $1.5k on a receiver, doesn't make sense to me.

Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo are the big three that we get asked about all the time. I can't give recommendations, they all sound like music to me.

Great. I spend untold hours researching receivers, and now I'm looking at new speaks instead.

Any recommendations on a good pre/pro that has good video handling, HDMI, phone inputs and a list price of under $19? Seriously, I don't have a new budget for electronics, the Horns, if they come to pass, will suck up all my free cash plus some additional, but I will have to have something at some point, I might as well start looking at seperates so when the time comes I'm prepared. Outlaw has already been mentioned, and I have heard a lot og good stuff about them here before, I need to find out about their video stuff though. Please remember, this isn't a 100% 2 channel system, so some compromises will be made.

check out emotiva.com

that will be my next purchase. very high quality. very appealing in the looks department. very good pricing. unbelievable customer service. very good sound having heard first hand.

as far as their video handling capabilities.... i believe their soon to be released new prepro will have you covered.

Not to be a real pain but I have been looking for a receiver for months now and quite frankly I dont care about multi room zones and I really dont care about any video proccesing abilities. I only want a system that does all of the new hidef audio processing and 7.1 or 7.2 surround sound. Maybe components are what I want but I dont know a bloody thing about any standalone amps preamps or anything like that.

My last receiver was a Yamaha rvx-2095 and was and still is a great receiver 5.1(sold on ebay for $580.00 cad), great sounding with Mission 700 speakers all around, I upgraded to the Denon 4308ci and klipsch all aroud and sounds very good, the two sounded diferent the yamaha maybe more dinamic, the denon is more "relaxed", but none of this receivers are entry level. One thing, the remotes on this units plain and simple suck as a universal remote, so put aside $200.00+ for a universal remote, I chose the denon over the Yamaha because of the wireless network, hdmi 1.3a, DTS-MA (yes not all receivers can do the DTS-MA 7.1), the Onkyo has had too many issues with hdmi...if you do not want to spend this much money look in to the Pioneer Elite receivers, for the money they are some of the best out there, in the end if you want a receiver to do all the new formats it is going to cost you $$$, and the only BD player capable of all the new audio formats is the Pioneer elite bdp-95fd, trust me been there, done that.

my $.02