Need help finding data on EV Patrician 700

djn

Hi All, I just got a pair of EV Patrician 700 for pennies on the dollar.....couldn't pass them up. Anyway, I can not find any data on the net about these. They are 1962 modles. Can anyone here help me? I surely do appreciate it. Cheers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice score - The Pat 700 was EVs top speaker during the early sixties - extremely big and heavy, close to 300 pounds. But you know that already. As I recall, starting at the bottom, there's a thirty (!) inch styrofoam woofer facing backwards into the corner. This woofer goes incredibly deep, but be careful - it does not handle much power, and repairs are prohibitive. It hands off at 100 hz to the SP-12 variant you see in the front. At 800 hz. the T-250 takes over and, on most examples is topped off with a T-350, a giant version of the T-35 used in the Klipschorn. I've heard of some Patricians being found with Ionovac or other tweeters as well.

According to the spec sheet, the frequency response is 15 - 23,000 hz, power handling is 70 watts. Works best in a corner, (natch!) but can "be placed in almost any room location."

I've gathered they're often found with the tweeters blown. Luckily, they use the same diaphragm and voice coil as the T-35 (and T-35b and ST-350 for that matter.)

Reviews of the time called them "stupendous" but not as detailed as more modern designs.

Because of their size, they were often sold as singles with a "Stereon," which was a smaller, near Cornwall size, cabinet without the 30 incher. The idea was the bass was non-directional, and so could come from the big speaker for both left and right channels.

I hope this answers most of your questions. You should be warned, however that, because of the plutonium used in the magnet structures, the Patrician 700s have been reported to cause tooth decay, premature balding, nervous twitching and insanity. I strongly suggest you send them to me for proper dispersal. Let me know and I'll have the hazmat division of "Freighters and Craters" there as soon as possible!

• Haha 1

The Telex web site has a very nice EV archive

It is:http://archives.telex.com/

In EV, the speaker category has some other items misfiled in the EDS (engineering data sheet) area.
the Patrician 800. http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...0800%20EDS.pdf

Here is the 30W (the 30" woofer), with nice engineering specs: http://archives.telex.com/archives/E.../30W%20EDS.pdf

http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...ld%20Plans.pdf

The Patrician IV was a scaled up Klipschorn with an 18" woofer. It's only vaguely similar to the Pat 700. The Pat II and Pat III were actually closer, in that they shared the SP-12 mod for the upper bass.

This question always comes up. The woofers alone can bring up to $800 if you're lucky - the tweeters go in the $200-400 range if they are in good shape. The SP-12 and T-250 maybe $100 each.

A full pair, in nice shape - anybody's guess, but $6,000 would not be out of line. Some pairs may reach for 5 figures. Except of course for that plutonium business.

Hi CaptnBob, it sounds like you might have data on these puppies? I'd like to find a broughsure or any kind of Lit on these. I have been playing as much as I can and they are incredable....just fantastic. I have Speakerlab Khorns in the other room and love them both equally. Different sounds but both great. I need to get rid of my EH300b tubes and go with KR300b tubes to really bring them out. I don't know what the midhorn driver is. I can't find anything in the lit that even closely resembles it. Cheers.

• 10 years later...
On 3/17/2008 at 2:41 PM, CaptnBob said:

The Patrician IV was a scaled up Klipschorn with an 18" woofer. It's only vaguely similar to the Pat 700. The Pat II and Pat III were actually closer, in that they shared the SP-12 mod for the upper bass.

This question always comes up. The woofers alone can bring up to $800 if you're lucky - the tweeters go in the $200-400 range if they are in good shape. The SP-12 and T-250 maybe $100 each.

A full pair, in nice shape - anybody's guess, but $6,000 would not be out of line. Some pairs may reach for 5 figures. Except of course for that plutonium business.

I know this was commented 10 years ago but i have to correct the fact that working T250 sells for thousands

• 2 years later...

I'm having a lot of trouble finding info as well.  I had a Patrician 700 which I sold because I didn't have the room and kept the Stereon 200 that came with it.  I can't find anything on the Stereon 200.  The closest manual I found was the Stereon 300 accessory for the Esquire loudspeaker

I spoke with Bosch who bought Telex and they said I won't find anything on it.  The tech has been there for many years and very familiar with the product line and had no clue about it.  Luckily it works great so I'll continue to enjoy it while I can.  I'm hoping to get a record player and maybe an MC60 to go with it for some light listening

That old Telex webpage doesn't work, but I located the archive on Google.  Here it is for reference https://mypicsonline.net/archive/archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/index.html

Grab the info while you can!