How many of you watch movies in 6.1 or 7.1?

belial

I'm still toying around with my new Denon 3802. It supports 6.1 and 7.1 speaker configurations, and I just hooked up one of my (gulp) old Radioshack Optimus speakers as a sixth channel, along with the rest of my Klipsch Ref. setup.

The Denon has something called a "matrixed" rear channel, where it creates a channel out of the regular left and rights.

So far, I think it does add more "presence" to certain scenes, but I'm not sure how well it actually works with regular 5.1 soundtracks.

Since I know a lot of you have Denons, I wanted to know if you stuck with 5.1, or if you like the 6.1 or 7.1 modes ...

You wrote: "Plenty of movies that aren't encoded with EX/ES have very cool rear surround effects."

And I agree, but I guess my question is, do movies that aren't encoded with EX/ES sound BETTER in a 6.1/7.1 setup?

5.1 films have great rear surround effects, but do they sound better with a matrixed back channel along with the rears?

(Thanks for responding, by the way, toddv.)

This message has been edited by belial on 01-15-2002 at 12:40 AM

hi, just want to tell you im going to 7.1 also soon i just got a 2nd pair of KSP S6's for center rears... mind you this new 7.1 EX or ES is only a phantom surround much like prologic was , i guess thats the next thing they are going to up grade is to make it a discreat surround back channels just like your dolby digital is now.. so dont go buy the best reciever out there yet because there will be something new in a year or so.. they will make the surround rears descreat... not just a phantom surround back as it is now.... those guys win again.. making us keep buying new equipment..