What Amplifier to use?

Mikep5353

• Moderators

Hey Mike. Welcome to the forums!

First of all, what is your budget for a receiver?

If you are looking at a buget receiver, I listed some here that you might be interested in. There is no magical receiver that will be "perfect" for the RF-35's or any other speaker setup. It all boils down to your needs (features), your budget, and even your preference.

Most recommend Harman Kardon, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Mirantz (not in any particular order) since they sound good with Klipsch speakers. Since the RF-35's have a high sensitivity rating (98db), you could power them with with a receiver that had as little as 50 watts/ch. I'm powering my RF-83's with a 55 watt/ch Harman Kardon receiver. Does it sound great? Absolutely. Would it sound even better with more clean power (like 200 w/ch) absolutely!

How much do you listen to Music vs Home Theater? What features do you need the receiver to have (HDMI 1.3, Amp Pre-Outs, Multi-Source capabilities etc)?

The more info you provide, the easier it will be for everyone to make suggestions for you to consider.

Budget is a key issue here. Have you considered separates as opposed to a receiver. Emotiva and Outlaw have budget separates and are an inexpensive way to get into separates. Emotiva's power amplifiers are a great way to get the most out of your speakers and not just at loud reference levels. Power amplifiers will give lot's of headroom & a vastly improved soundstage when compared to a receiver. You can pick up a processor/power amplifier pair for as low as $1498 before shipping. Just a thought if you haven't already considered it.

• Moderators

WOW...what amp are you driving the 83's with?

Well, I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5490, 80W per channel (6.1). I was thinking of upgrading the amp and spending about 1200.00 on a new one.

I am using a older Harman Kardon AVR55. The RF-83's are extremely efficient at 100db sensitivity. My plans are to eventually add an amp to the HK, then replace it with a Parasound Pre/Pro. With us wanting to build a house in May/June of this year, the Pre/Pro does not fall into the budget as of yet. [;)] It's good that I am very patient and it's even better that my wife was the one who suggested I add a theater room to the floorplan. With her suggestion, I was able to move from wanting to buy the RB-61's to the RF-83's. I love my wife! [:D]

When you say "amp", are you referring to a receiver or adding an actual amp to your current Yamaha receiver? For $1200, you can get a great amp or receiver.

Klipsch%20(18).jpg

2317380597_d3a5554d6a_b.jpg