Current thoughts on replacing Chorus I with Epic CF-3 Version ones?

bdbaba

Aloha Everyone,

Been away from the forum for a bit, enjoying my Chorus ones.

Have the chance to replace my original chorus ones with CF-3 version ones.

I am running a Panny SA-XR700, which I would be able to triamp the CF-3--Panasonics internal deal, not true active biamping.

These would need to be placed pretty close to the wall like my chorus are now. I have a KV-4 I can use as a center channel with the CF-3 until I can find another CF-3.

Right now I am still using a Forte with a Munson K-Stack for my center with the Chorus.

Any thoughts? Are the CF-3 too much of a load for the Panny? Is this just a lateral move and not a step up?

Thanks All for any opinions!

First impression is, what about your midrange? Speakers your considering are 2 way so...right now your Forte are helping with going lower, although so would CF-3. Interesting! Not familiar with your RX but my old P can handle a 4 channel load but a dropoff in power/volume is my results, although works.

Still have your front ports though, which is nice for your arrangement!?!

First impression is, what about your midrange? Speakers your considering are 2 way so...right now your Forte are helping with going lower, although so would CF-2. Interesting! Not familiar with your RX but my old P can handle a 4 channel load but a dropoff in power/volume is my results, although works.

Still have your front ports though, which is nice for your arrangement!?!

Thanks for observations. I have had all the Panny versions and the XR700 is the best of the bunch with the XR45 a close second.

Turns out the CF has a X-over problem at the moment. Will see if it can be fixed.

I did a more extensive listen today. Both the Chorus and the CF-3
are great speakers. With the Chorus being so much more efficient,
getting the proper levels while trying to A/B them was difficult at
best. I think they each have their plusses. The Chorus seem to be a
bit clearer in the Mid/Highs--but not by much. The Epics seem to have
a bigger and tighter Bass--but again, not night and day. They each
hold their own quite well.

Still more listening to do before I
decide which to keep. Maybe I will keep them both until either another
Chorus or another CF-3 shows up on island. Then I will keep that pair
so I can have three of the same spekkers up front and sell the other
pair. Wonder what the wife would say to that.

I did a more extensive listen today. Both the Chorus and the CF-3 are great speakers. With the Chorus being so much more efficient, getting the proper levels while trying to A/B them was difficult at best. I think they each have their plusses. The Chorus seem to be a bit clearer in the Mid/Highs--but not by much. The Epics seem to have a bigger and tighter Bass--but again, not night and day. They each hold their own quite well.

Still more listening to do before I decide which to keep. Maybe I will keep them both until either another Chorus or another CF-3 shows up on island. Then I will keep that pair so I can have three of the same spekkers up front and sell the other pair. Wonder what the wife would say to that.

Yes, I look at your RX the other day! I see it is a modern one, even your 2nd choice. Glad to hear you are having these problems deciding. Listening some more may help, but yes keeping all is no doubt, best way to be sure. For instance, if you do dedicated 2 channel(Chorus). maybe diff. RX in future.....happy scenario....see what I mean.........maybe hard to replace Chorus on island.....