Klipsch 8 ohm spec. on Dual woofer models? How?

thirdeye

So tell me, How are the Dual Driver Klipsch models like any of the reference series towers.. Or older KG, KLF series etc… Actually 8 ohm impedance? I mean the Heritage series are 8 ohm due to single drivers, all the other models I owned are actually Dual woofers and are wired in Parallel so they get to a 4 ohm resistance.

However klipsch specs say on all these models 8 ohm nominal impedance, and the newer versions I noted actually state " 8 ohm compatible" meaning what? They realize they are not really 8 ohm measured? I have actually taken an ohm meter to these speakers personally and come up with below 4 ohm somewhere around 3.8 ohm and lower on average throughout virtually the whole product line, I know this is not the most accurate way to get a impedance curve, but you would have to figure it needs to be at the least a 7 ohm reading to say its an 8 ohm speaker or am I missing something here?

My concern is that I would like to use an older pair with some tubes, but S.E.T. amps might not like this as much and if they are really 8 ohm fine.. Seems somebody needs to reveal Oz behind the curtain here. I am going to use a pair of KLF 10's for a project as a reference. Most believe Efficiency is so high that speakers with this should work well with tubes or anything and lower power no problem, but impedance is probably even more critical in getting excellent results.

Thanks

See if there's a 4 ohm resistor on the crossover board. The stock KLF series crossovers are using parts that are 10% tolerance. I had Bob Crites build me (really it may have been his son Michael) a pair of crossovers with upgraded <5% tolerance fodder. At sustained HF notes I really do believe I could here the variances with the 10% units (then again, some people say I'm full of it). Bob used SoniCaps on mine.

On the boards he mounted the parts on he just told me to put each pos. and neg. woofer leads on the same tap on the barrier strip. One of the key parts may be that he uses autoforming transformers. For a little extra $$ I asked him to make them bi-amp-able so I can still run true bi-wire now or bi-amp for later.

I also ordered some titanium diaphragms for the K-79 tweeters that go up to 23KHz. You won't hear it directly but the 10th and/or 11th harmonics will come into play.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crossovers.html and go to the bottom of the page.

Your measurements with the ohmeter tell you DC coil Resistance. Not Impedance.

Impedance will vary from something near 4 Ohms to something over 30 Ohms (or higher) depending on frequency. Nominal impedance spec merely tries to provide an average. Our "8 Ohms compatable" is our own way of suggesting what amps will work well.